Aluminum rear sprocket XR650R

27 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:10 PM

I just ordered a new chain/sprockets today.. (DID xring) and am planning to lay off the WD40. I normally use WD40 exlcusively for my dirtbike chains, but all the talk of it sneaking past the orings and dissoving the grease has gotten to me. I have a couple cans of "dupont performance teflon lube" that I'm going to go with and plain old kerosene rag and brush to clean it with.. By this time next year I'll be able to tell you if there's anything to the WD40 bashing.

Don't buy into it. Honda lubes, Yamalubes Maxima etc...all extra doe for the big guys. WD-40 is cheap and effective as a lubricant/water repellant. Only guys bad mouthing it are the ones that feel like suckers for buying $8 cans of chain lube for years. When I first got my XR I used lube...wore the chain out, got a new chain...used lube wore out...got the same chain this year used WD-40.....minimal stretch and the chain cleans up easy and looks nice. And yes I know how to adjust my chain and what proper slack is. This is just my experience and I'm sticking with the WD-40. I've talked to more guys that have switched and won't go back. By the time you blow the doe for a year on lube you could've bought a new chain.

• 4Takt

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:48 PM

Hell, I only get about 650-800 miles out of a chain regardless of whether or not it is on the 500 or 650.

Chris

Yikes! I use MFR dry chain lube and ride 90% sand, river silt and mud. My stock chain is approaching 4000 miles and it's starting to show wear. I was wondering if that wasn't a little soon...

4Takt

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 29, 2005 - 09:39 PM

Yikes! I use MFR dry chain lube and ride 90% sand, river silt and mud. My stock chain is approaching 4000 miles and it's starting to show wear. I was wondering if that wasn't a little soon...

4Takt

Was that on your XR150? :applause:

• 4Takt

Posted November 30, 2005 - 07:47 AM

Here's my bike on any typical afternoon of swamp riding. I still have the stock chain, and about 3800 miles on my odometer. I clean the bike maybe once a month, but I do wash the chain with a garden hose after every ride, dry it with compressed air, and relube it with MFR.

Posted Image

4Takt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpasaurus

Posted November 30, 2005 - 10:53 AM

Don't buy into it. Honda lubes, Yamalubes Maxima etc...all extra doe for the big guys. WD-40 is cheap and effective as a lubricant/water repellant... By the time you blow the doe for a year on lube you could've bought a new chain.

I don't use regular chain lube on the trail bikes. The stuff I'm about to try is in the ballpark price of canned WD40. (DuPont Teflon All Purpose Lube, available at home improvement stores) It goes on as an oily film, but dries completely and doesn't attract dirt. So far I'm really liking it. I'm going to give it a go on a brand new chain and see how it lasts..

I hear you on the WD scare. Probably nothing to it. I buy WD40 by the gallon, and put it in spray bottles. That's the cheap way to do it, and I hose the hell out of my stuff with it and will continue to do so. Just not on chains for a while.

• TimBrp

Posted November 30, 2005 - 11:01 AM

Good luck with the teflon stuff. Post some results.

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted November 30, 2005 - 02:58 PM

4Takt

That twisty thing on the right side of those renthals is the throttle my friend. It is not easy on the chain :applause: Really though, I think I got 1000 miles out of one of my chains, when I took it off and shook it, it sounded like loose change on my hand, very stretched out, I am lucky I didn't loose it and bust a case

• TimBrp

Posted November 30, 2005 - 05:39 PM

It depends on how and where you ride too. I ride the Northeast, it's brutal. From snow to dirt to rock to mud...and back.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.