Can i powder coat my frame? CA Street Lega?

8 replies to this topic
  • EastBayThumper

Posted November 27, 2005 - 03:19 AM

I have an 05 YZ450F.. I want to ride this on the street next summer! This is a red sticker bike in california! That means you can't convert it to street legal easily?

What about powder coating my frame covering up the VIN # and then getting it registered like a custom bike?

CHOPPER 450??? :applause:

• BergArabia

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:17 AM

Except it isn't a chopper and they might think hidden VIN means stolen bike...

• mummer12

Posted November 27, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Depends where you live but I know of a shop in san jose that does street legal conversion. I think they know a way around the law or something, ill look for the website name for you. I have seen them convert some crf450 before.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted November 27, 2005 - 01:56 PM

My frame was just powder coated, they were able to keep VIN readable. What are they quoting you? Mine cost $150 for a silver vien powder.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:15 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the California Air Resource Board and the AMA agreed to a fixed number of dirt bike conversions to a street configuration and plate.

The argument for this conversion was for riders that were forced to ride a paved road (non-OHV) as part of a complete trail system. Mostly Northern California.

And I think I read somewhere that the number of legal conversions had already been met. Right around 20,000. Additionally, the limit was only applicable for one more year, which may have been 05. In other words, no more for 06.

However, anyone can build a custom bike or vehicle and receive a new VIN number via the CHP. It requires a set of forms from the DMV, and a legitimate amount of validation as to where the original motor and/or frame came from.

I was never able to find anything that says that it is illegal to remove a VIN number, but there is one condition - you can't do so if it involves any type of criminal intent. So, there is obviously a balancing act between the CARB/AMA ruling and the amount of customization you do with the bike, as recognized by the CHP.

Lastly, you can legally convert any red sticker bike to a green sticker bike, (if you know what you're doing) which could possibly allow you to re-convert this to a street bike. However, the cost and paper work to do so is more than any of us would want to bear.

• DaveJ

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:18 PM

Oh...BTW, the powder coating experts, used by most of the factory teams, is Olympic Powder Coating at 714-979-2720.

• badassdad

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:24 PM

off road only 2270 conoas garden av. san jose ca, 408 979 9796 i know they do that sort of thing..... i have been in the store and seen the flier.

• mummer12

Posted November 27, 2005 - 06:00 PM

yes that is the place.but i thought they had a website

• jocolo

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:51 PM

give Papy a call at BK Perf.. he does lots of quads at exriders.com

Prives]Prices

Pics

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.