Is too much oil VERY bad for the engine?

29 replies to this topic
  • Riderrr

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:27 PM

JUST changed the oil, checked it the first time, and i was low, added half a quart and bam i was right at the top of the grid

is this bad..

• SoCalrider21

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:31 PM

I don't think it is very bad, which I just did the same thing. But it should be fine if you don't go over.

• Riderrr

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:34 PM

what if you go off the grid?

• SoCalrider21

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:38 PM

If you were off the grid you might want to drain it a little. Have you ridden on it at all after filling the oil, because if you haven't it is always possible to fix.

• ttr225ttr

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:38 PM

it wont lubricate your engine properly

• t_shuffle

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:44 PM

Top of the grid means you are full. Above the top means you are too full.

• Riderrr

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:44 PM

k its like just on the border of the top of the grid, im gunna let it drain for like 2 seconds then

• ttr225ttr

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:47 PM

you really dont want it too low tho. take little steps 2 seconds might be alittle much. first just try a little out then stand the bike up and see where its at and then continue if needed

• SoCalrider21

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:48 PM

That is what I would do because you don't want to run it over-filled. Just drain it until it is under the grid.

• 250Thumpher

Posted November 26, 2005 - 09:27 PM

Don't worry about it. Sicne you have a oil tank and the oil is seperate from the motor, you will be fine. Same goes for if it's too low.

-Phill

• Supafreak_711

Posted November 26, 2005 - 11:08 PM

I agree with 250thumper. Now if you have WAY to much it will cause problems (and shoot out when you check the dipstick :applause:) I forgot to warm my dads bike up when changing the oil and just drained and filled the tank up.... when I warmed it up and checked the oil level oil sprayed all over my shirt.

No biggie, just let a little out at a time from the drain bolt and you will be good to go.

• Whoya

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:44 AM

What bike do you have? If it has the external tank in the frame, then you must follow the proper procedure when checking the level. If the bike has been sitting for a few days the dipstick might not show any oil at all. (becaise all the oil has drained down into the crank case)
Warm the bike up for 3-5 minutes, turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes. Now check the level.

• 78kl250a

Posted November 27, 2005 - 08:25 AM

I would have to say do not worry about it. I always put a little extra oil in the reservoir. All that does is put extra in what would be empty space. Now this only applies to the 01 and 02's. If you have the 03 and up. I have no clue.

• WheelsUp

Posted November 27, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Define "too" full?
With the dry-sump system, the engine contains only as much oil as it needs to run. The excess is in the frame reservoir.

"too full" would be when you remove the dipstick from the frame when it's running and oil squirts out. There is a reservoir overflow line that runs from the same location back down to the valve cover in front of the crankcase vent... if oil squirts out from the dipstick hole, then it is also squirting through the hose and into the engine's top end. That is not a good thing. Anything less is fine.

• Bkinzey

Posted November 27, 2005 - 10:57 PM

I would have to say do not worry about it. I always put a little extra oil in the reservoir. All that does is put extra in what would be empty space. Now this only applies to the 01 and 02's. If you have the 03 and up. I have no clue.

I would have to say don't take this advice :lol: :p :p

What do you mean "a little extra"?? :p

If your engine takes 1.5 quarts, put that in. Don't put in 1.7 or 1.8 :lol: :p

Too much oil can, and will, damage your engine. The oil pressure will be high causing oil to be forced by your rings, seals, and gaskets. Liquids don't compress. So at some point of overfilling, when the engine is running, you'll have too much liquid in a space that is being compressed. Since the oil won't compress something else will :applause: :ride: :p :p

• 78kl250a

Posted November 28, 2005 - 06:09 AM

Too much oil can, and will, damage your engine. The oil pressure will be high causing oil to be forced by your rings, seals, and gaskets. Liquids don't compress. So at some point of overfilling, when the engine is running, you'll have too much liquid in a space that is being compressed. Since the oil won't compress something else will :applause: :ride: :p :p

As the post before yours said, With the dry-sump system, the engine contains only as much oil as it needs to run. The excess is in the frame reservoir.
So, on the 01-02 models, were you put the oil directly into the reservoir, it does not hurt to have a little extra, just as long as there is still room in the reservoir for more oil to enter.
By a little extra i mean, my oil is and has always been maybee 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the full mark on the dipstick. It does seem like a lot, but there is still plenty of room in the reservoir, Ive never had it come back out on me, and i would prefer to have a little extra instead of not enough just in case something bad would occur, like a hole in an oil line.

• 250Thumpher

Posted November 28, 2005 - 09:05 AM

This would apply to a wet sump engine, but this is a dry sump engine.

-Phill

• SoCalrider21

Posted November 28, 2005 - 07:10 PM

Ya I found out that when I overfill my bike it will leak on my front fender.

• chevymx78

Posted December 02, 2005 - 03:54 PM

if u overfill it like i did one time...dont remember how much but i put too much in cuz when i drained it was back to normal, but it was hesitant on bottom, drain out a little bit and it was right back to normal...since then i put exactly 1.5 qrts in :applause:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 02, 2005 - 05:44 PM

As the post before yours said, With the dry-sump system, the engine contains only as much oil as it needs to run. The excess is in the frame reservoir.

Thats only true for normal situations. If you pour a gallon of oil in the engine how much of it do you think the frame will hold? Where do you think the excess oil goes to? And what do you think is the biggest risk of having too much oil?

The frame on 05 and older bikes will hold right at 2 quarts before it really gets pissed and spews out the filler/dipstick when you open it. Any more than that and the oil just drains in to the motor via the small rubber hose.

The biggest risk is having the crankshaft beat the oil into a foam because the oil is so high it get hit by the crank journals as it spins. When the oil foams up the oil pump ceases to pump and the oil pressure drops to nada. No oil pressure and things will quickly sieze starting with the intake cam.

so there is a risk of putting too much oil in the bikes. But jeez all you have to do is empty the thing out into a clean bowl and refill it with the correct amount.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.