Fork seal qusetion.

5 replies to this topic
  • rich1167

Posted November 26, 2005 - 06:41 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever had their fork seals leak due to bottoming. I was at the track last weekend and hit some whoops wrong and bottomed out my forks. A couple of days latter I noticed the left seal "and only the left seal" was leaking. I searched the TT site and found some info on cleaning underneath with a feeler gauge. This seemed to work. Then I went out riding today and bottomed out hard on a jump landing. It immediately sprung a leak like a geyser this time. Could it have been overfilled from the factory? Or is this a normal issue with bottoming?

• Bamster

Posted November 26, 2005 - 07:35 PM

It might be just dirt. An easier way to clean fork seals is to put a couple rounds of electrical tape around the shaft 2 inches from the seal . Then pump the forks a few times.

• minion

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:14 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever had their fork seals leak due to bottoming. I was at the track last weekend and hit some whoops wrong and bottomed out my forks. A couple of days latter I noticed the left seal "and only the left seal" was leaking. I searched the TT site and found some info on cleaning underneath with a feeler gauge. This seemed to work. Then I went out riding today and bottomed out hard on a jump landing. It immediately sprung a leak like a geyser this time. Could it have been overfilled from the factory? Or is this a normal issue with bottoming?

I just had to do mine. My left side also started leaking. What happened to mine, appeared to be a defective "piston metal": The teflon coating on the inside of it sheared away, and a piece of it got lodged under my fork seal, causing it to leak.

From what a few people said on here though, its not the factory that fills the forks - its the dealer. My forks were too full, which may have contributed to it - I wanted 115mm of air space, and the stock is supposed to be 128. I filled the redone fork to 115, and then took the other fork apart, expecting to have to add fluid to bring it up to level. Actually, I had to remove almost 20mm of fluid. The clickers weren't set to the factory default either - default is 12 clicks I believe for US models. Mine were set at 8.

After redoing the forks, my suspension is way better. I would take the time to do a tear down and replacement of the seal, piston metal and slide metal. Its not that difficult to do, but it is a lot easier if you have a 3rd arm (or a drinking buddy!) :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rich1167

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:29 PM

I've already got the left one pulled apart and seals on the way. Thanks for the info.

• minion

Posted November 26, 2005 - 10:26 PM

I've already got the left one pulled apart and seals on the way. Thanks for the info.

I'd order new piston metal and slide metal. Or at least inspect is very thoroughly - My bike is an 05, so I didn't order the metals, just the seal when I did mine. After I got it apart is when I noticed that the teflon was damaged, so I had to order those parts as well and wait again for them to come in. :applause:

• rich1167

Posted November 26, 2005 - 10:59 PM

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes I can find them locally. One of the 3 area Yamy dealerships have to have them. I just did a bunch of work on the jetting this weekend and got it running strong. Now this BS. It would be nice to be able to ride this thing instead of working on it. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.