cam installing

9 replies to this topic
  • tshe1

Posted November 26, 2005 - 05:01 AM

i want to install the cams on my 2001 426wr but don't sure if i put it write.
i install the exhaust cam without the timing chain and try to rotate it with hand. it is going pretty hard. according to the manual it suppose to have 0.02mm clearance between the cam and the cylinder head.
everything is OK and i followed exactly the manual.
does any one knows what I'm talking about?
i thought it suppose to rotate without any force(?) :applause:

• jbrooks26

Posted November 26, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Did you torque the cam cap? It is supposed to be torqued to 7.2ft/lb, if you got it too tight it will bind. It could also not be that the cam cap is not sitting in the head properly. Hope this helps.

Josh

• 5valve

Posted November 26, 2005 - 09:15 AM

-use criss cross pattern for torqueing the cap in 3 to 4 steps (use correct torque as stated)
-check for deformities in the plain bearing area (where cam rotates in alu seating), if none, you're OK
-when installing, be sure to apply loads of engine oil to contact areas
-It could just be rubbing the chain slider

• FFRacing79

Posted November 26, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Without the cam chain installed, the cams should turn freely. If your journals are torqued properly(I recommend 6 ft/lbs or 72 in/lbs) and they still turn hard, you might have to polish the cam bearing surface. This is easiest with a lathe and fine emory or crocus cloth, but it can be done by hand.
if the cams do not spin freely, there is the possibility that the journals will gall. Also make sure you lube up the contact points with moly when you final assemble. Tdub :applause:

• tshe1

Posted November 26, 2005 - 01:47 PM

-use criss cross pattern for torqueing the cap in 3 to 4 steps (use correct torque as stated)
-check for deformities in the plain bearing area (where cam rotates in alu seating), if none, you're OK
-when installing, be sure to apply loads of engine oil to contact areas
-It could just be rubbing the chain slider

i torque the caps correctly by the manual.
their is no visable deformation on the plain bearing area.
i was trying it without the chain on it, so i suppose it's not the chain slider.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tshe1

Posted November 26, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Without the cam chain installed, the cams should turn freely. If your journals are torqued properly(I recommend 6 ft/lbs or 72 in/lbs) and they still turn hard, you might have to polish the cam bearing surface. This is easiest with a lathe and fine emory or crocus cloth, but it can be done by hand.
if the cams do not spin freely, there is the possibility that the journals will gall. Also make sure you lube up the contact points with moly when you final assemble. Tdub :applause:

i torque properly the cam (crisscross pattern with 10 NM).
the manual says to apply engine oil on the contact points and moly on the lubes.
why to polish the cam bearing surface? can't i put shim (0.05mm) on the sitting points?
did you heard before of such problem, and about someone that polish the bearing surface?

• 5valve

Posted November 27, 2005 - 02:38 AM

By polishing, you remove extra material, that rubs the cam.
I had to do it, since some mech before me overtorqued the caps.
Other option, easier than polishing is extra spacing the cap from head with regular paper, wich you place under every bolt and if not enough, add more paper;
it wont go anywhere, since it is pressed between.

• TD-3

Posted November 27, 2005 - 04:25 AM

I'd pull the cam and caps, then double check that the shims are all on top of the valve stems and seated correctly.

• tshe1

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I'd pull the cam and caps, then double check that the shims are all on top of the valve stems and seated correctly.

i checked the valve clearance after installing the com, and it was OK.

• tshe1

Posted November 27, 2005 - 09:55 PM

i solved the problem by slightly polish the cam caps rounded surfaces withe sandpaper. first with mesh 600 and smooth it with mesh 1000.
after install, it was rotate free.
don't want to polish the surfaces on the cylinder head because they determin the valve clearance (distance between cam and the head) that was good.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.