Headlight blows out?

9 replies to this topic
  • wildchubby

Posted November 25, 2005 - 04:13 PM

I have a '83 XL600 that I just recently repaired an oil leak on the left side cover (same side as the stator). Now both my main headlight and high beam has blown out. They both ran for about 1 minute before blowing out.

Any idea's on what could be causing this?

• BLSBRKR65

Posted November 25, 2005 - 06:10 PM

Could be coincidental... get a multimeter and check your voltage where the headlight connects into, it should be within 12 volts or so. if not, it is your voltage rectifier/regulator. i found out about this just a couple of weeks ago too with my '87 XL 600r. While your at it check your wiring connections too from the regulator to the harness. hope this helps. Where exactly in TX. are you? I'm in houston.

• wildchubby

Posted November 25, 2005 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the voltage and connection first thing tomorrow. Do you know if the bulbs are easy to come by at the local auto parts store or are they special order?

I live in Austin. If you ever have a reason to be in Austin send me a PM and maybe we can go for a DS ride.

Thanks,
J

• BLSBRKR65

Posted November 26, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Get Replacement H4 Bulbs. They Are Readily In Stock At Your Local Honda Dealer. Walmart Has Them Too! I Sure Wish Austin Ain't That Far...

• Bob East

Posted November 27, 2005 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

Anytime your headlamp or other bulbs blow-out in a very short time interval,
that's a very good indicator of high voltage. The other poster was dead on
when he suggested the voltage regulator. As I recall, from working on bikes
in the past, the rotor is a set of permanent magnets. So, the voltage regulation
is done by series regulating the output of the rectified stator voltage. If that
regulator shorts, then, full output voltage of your stator is applied to the load,
in this case the light bulbs, and with higher voltage comes increased power
consumption which translates into increased filament temperatures. They
simply melt under such conditions. The voltage you should see for a 12
volt system is between 13.8-14.2 VDC. If the VR is bad, don't be surprised
to see as much as 18 or more volts. That will quickly make a headlight bulb
die. BTW, the voltage will increase with increased engine RPM and decrease
as the RPM's are reduced to idle.

Rgds,
Bob East

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • targetdrone

Posted November 27, 2005 - 02:32 PM

My XL600R did the same thing when I got it. The culprit was the bullet connectors at the regulator. I would check those first. The regulators don't usually go bad. Also make sure all the connectors are clean where the stator plugs into the wire harness. While you have the tank off, clean the connectors that go to the coil and cover them in dilectric grease.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Could be coincidental... get a multimeter and check your voltage where the headlight connects into, it should be within 12 volts or so. if not, it is your voltage rectifier/regulator. i found out about this just a couple of weeks ago too with my '87 XL 600r. While your at it check your wiring connections too from the regulator to the harness. hope this helps. Where exactly in TX. are you? I'm in houston.

i would agree with him.

• wildchubby

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:51 PM

All fixed. Thanks for the advice. Problem was a very small piece of shielding sliced up by the frame. New tires this week and I'll be good to go for another fun year messing around in Austin.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:39 PM

glad to hear ya got er fixed up.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 30, 2005 - 12:19 PM

The regulator was grounding and allowing the stator to run wide open. I bet it burned the rectifier...dont be surprized if not the battery dies, and you replace it and it dies again because its getting either over charged or not charged at all...just something to look out for...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.