Topspeeds

14 replies to this topic
  • Tom81

Posted November 25, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Just curiouos.

What's the topspeed people's been getting on their 650R's and with what gearing, and engine mod's??

• YamahaThumper

Posted November 25, 2005 - 03:07 PM

120 mph

• Tom81

Posted November 25, 2005 - 03:08 PM

okay.. so how'd you get´there.. what gearing.. engine mods???

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted November 25, 2005 - 05:26 PM

120 mph

120 mine will do about 155 on the flats and 150 in the hills :applause: :ride:

• captb

Posted November 25, 2005 - 05:54 PM

181 mph on gps, but I was on my XX, about 77 mph faster than my XR geared 15/45 with full exhaust, uncorked, jetted, airbox mod.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 25, 2005 - 06:02 PM

Mine does about 80 - 85 mph in the desert. It is geared for Mt. trail riding 13 tooth by 51 tooth.

In other words the XR650R is capable of speeds over 100 mph when geared right and uncorked. I have edelbrock carb, stage one Hotcam and stock exhaust uncorked.

Oh yeah, it gets to that 85 mph very quickly with this gearing.

• Fordskin

Posted November 25, 2005 - 06:35 PM

Question for Old Man Time: How much improvement have you found in the bike with the stage 1 cam and edlebrock with stock exhaust? These are the only mods i want to do. Worth it? Please explain how the bike has changed. I want to get the Honda stage 1 cam. Is that the same as hotcam? cheers. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted November 25, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Question for Old Man Time: How much improvement have you found in the bike with the stage 1 cam and edlebrock with stock exhaust? These are the only mods i want to do. Worth it? Please explain how the bike has changed. I want to get the Honda stage 1 cam. Is that the same as hotcam? cheers. :applause:

Honda stage one and Hotcam stage one are the same except that the Honda cam may still have the auto-decompression still functioning (I don't know for sure). The stage one cam gives the bike more brute pulling force all through the power band especially mid to top.

The Edelbrock carb smooths the power delivery and removes any hesitation when you wack the the throttle wide open. The Edelbrock also gives you one or two kick starts even when you dump the bike. I have not noticed the horsepower gains that others have when going to the Edelbrock. I think it's due to my having the stage one cam before I ever installed an Edelbrock. My riding partner does not have a stage one cam and he noticed more power output when we installed the Edelbrock on his bike.

The stock exhaust has proven to be the best exhaust performance wise in most cases. I realize there are a couple exhaust systems that may out perform it but in most of the articles I have read the stock out performs those after market systems it is tested against. Since I am not a pro-racer but just a fun rider I see no reason to switch to a lighter exhaust system. The after market exhaust system offers the least amount of gains for the money.

I also have been running an autoclutch for the last 2 years. Does wonders in the tight technical stuff and doesn't hurt in the desert either. I do see if I were a racer that the autoclutch in some situations would be a disadvantage because they do not have a true auto-clutch override which might slow down your shifting.

Anyways that's my input and opinions based on seat of the pants riding the XR650R in various situations for the last 5 and 3/4 years.

• Fordskin

Posted November 25, 2005 - 10:58 PM

Thanks mate for the detailed info. :applause:

• blueridge

Posted November 26, 2005 - 11:18 AM

Old_Man_Time, where did you buy your Edelbrock? Do you ever adjust mixture while riding to compensate for altitude?

• DelTronXR

Posted November 26, 2005 - 07:42 PM

108 mph with wind behind me, but could have been faster had I not had to hold on to the GPS between my legs---thank god for a stabilizer.

An '03 uncorked with a Pro-Circuit pipe, 15/47, and a full tank of gas (3.2) :applause:

• XRsteve

Posted November 26, 2005 - 10:50 PM

I can't believe anybody would try this without a stablizer. Headshake above 70 or so is kinda scary. I have yet to top out my 650L, (no stablizer yet!) but I do it quite often on my Scott's equipped XR400.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 27, 2005 - 05:49 AM

Old_Man_Time, where did you buy your Edelbrock? Do you ever adjust mixture while riding to compensate for altitude?

I bought it from TT's store. Although you can get it cheaper on E-bay. There is a store out of California that sells on E-bay. After I got it dialed in the way I like it I leave it alone. I ride from 1,500 to 6000 feet above sea level. It handles that range with no adjustments needed.

• Supplicate

Posted November 27, 2005 - 07:43 AM

There is a store out of California that sells on E-bay.

http://www.barnumspro.com

They have an eBay store, but its just easier IMO to call them and talk to them about the products you wish to buy. I wouldn't have ever wound up with half the stuff I have bought from them without calling and asking "Do you happen to make XXXX part?" and having them say "Sure do, we just don't sell it on eBay or list it on the website."

I suggest calling and talking to Rob about the quicksilver, he knows his :applause: when it comes to that carb.

• MIxr650r

Posted March 14, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Barnums is awesome. I just ordered my Quicksilver yesterday. I agree, give them a call, if they don't answer leave a message, they will call you right back on their dime. I did a lot of research and their price was the same as everybody else, but if you have a problem barnums has the experience to talk you through it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.