Ready to go back to stock EX Cam!!! Help please.

95 replies to this topic
  • jbrooks26

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hey, no problem. I will keep an eye on this and help if I can. Make sure to take a pic through the timing cover too, just to make sure you are lining up the timing mark properly. I'll tell you this much, I have learned a ton about this whole thing during my ordeal. Be glad to help in any way I can.

Josh

• jbrooks26

Posted February 14, 2006 - 06:07 PM

OK, I have the new Hotcam installed and it started up after some idle screw adjustment and idled fine in the garage. I have not had a chance to ride it yet, but hope that the weather will warm up enough in the next week to do so. I do have one question, I replaced the rings and head gasket during this whole thing, should I go through the new engine break in procedure of ride it to normal operating temp and let cool, and repeat 3 times? Or is the 30 minute ride for the Hotcam break in good enough? Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this one.

Josh

• Asgeir

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hey Josh

What did Hotcams say ? Was it defect ?

How has the Hotcams worked since the install ?

Have you any idea what was the fault ?

• Fullbore4

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:29 PM

I read the whole thing.......and yes it was like eating a whole cow but I give praise to jbrooks26 for so diligently, clearly and proficiently explaining his nightmare. Heck he even spelled right and used proper grammar.

The only thing he left out was what Asgeir asked and I am also very curious as to what the problem actually was.

jbrooks26......whats the final "said and done" scoop or is there any explantion as to what the problem was?

• jbrooks26

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:38 AM

I regret to inform you that there was not clear-cut cure for my problem. I suspect that it was a combination of several small items adding up to one huge headache for myself. The loss of compression remains a mystery to me; all I did to fix that was pull the head and cylinder then replace all the gaskets along with the rings (I was there so I figured why not). The originals were all in good shape. No leaky valves (I filled each port, exhaust and intake, with carb cleaner with no leaks). I just don't know about the whole compression thing.

Cold temps and 20/50 oil made the hard starting toward the end I think worse. I am now running 10/40 and have a much easier time starting. I would like to also add that I have no complaints or regrets with this upgrade, and it is definitely an upgrade. I did fiddle a little more with the jetting and now I think I have it dialed in pretty close. I am very happy with it. This was resolved quite some time ago now, if you have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them. This was a great learning experience that I would not want to trade, even though during the whole ordeal I was very frustrated. Thanks for your interest, and let me know if I can help with anything.

Josh

• jbrooks26

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:41 AM

Hey Josh

What did Hotcams say ? Was it defect ?

How has the Hotcams worked since the install ?

Have you any idea what was the fault ?

The first cam had a defective decomp pin, it was a little too short not allowing the exhaust valve to be opened before the compression had built up enough to make it hard to kick. Hotcams replaced it and paid shipping, I was very happy with their customer service.

I am also very happy with the Hotcam, no complaints at all.

Josh

• Asgeir

Posted January 02, 2007 - 11:14 AM

This thread in total is one of the most valuable specially given how many do and are thinking about such mod.

I looked up Hotcams web and they have now 2 videos showing how to exchange cams and how to adjust valve lash in YZ250F which is the same as in our thumpers.

http://www.hotcamsin...tallationVideos

I have purchased a set of used Hotcams on e-bay and will try this when they arrive.

thanks to all for their valuable input and specially to you Josh for not giving up on the project and write ups.

• jbrooks26

Posted January 02, 2007 - 01:45 PM

No problem, let me know if I can help out with your swap.

Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Check out this post with another Hot Cams nightmare. Maybe you can both work togeather to find a solution or dump the cams on e-bay!...

I'd be nervous of getting bad feedback on ebay. Maybe they can give you feedback as soon as they get the cams, not after they install them. :lol: Sounds like the Hot Cams isnt the way to go. I've read about these many times on this forum.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Ok guys, let's forget about the timing for just a little while. I do think that I may have had the timing messed up when I originally installed the Hotcams cam. However, my main concern right now is that I have the stock cam re-installed and I can kick it over without using the manual decomp lever. I have not tried to get it started this way, I didn't want to do any more damage than may already be done. Is there any way to tell if I have bent a valve without pulling the head? If I pull the head, are there any tools I will need, or any gotcha's that I should know about? After I get this compression issue figured out I will get back on the cam issue. I know that I did not have the Hotcams installed more than 1 tooth off in either direction, but I was counting pins as well as using the timing marks. Would this have been enough to bend a valve during the break in ride? Thanks,

Josh

Josh, the lightest kiss on the valve from the piston will "tilt" the vales tulip, it can be so small, not even visable to the good eye. But enough to not fully seat. A tell tale sign would be clearances are now extra loose. This is from the valve no longer fully seating. With 12.5:1 compression, there isnt much room up there for error.

• jbrooks26

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:38 AM

Toyota,

I notice that you are quoting from the middle of this thread, you are also quoting posts that are about a year old. Please note that this problem is fixed, I did not have any valve problems and I have no explanation for the loss of compression. However, several hours of time and a new set of rings, gaskets, and a head check later my compression was back. Timing was right, new plug and a little warmer temps and she fired right up. Valves are best checked by filling the exhaust and intake ports with something like carb cleaner and checking for leaks. Thanks for the posts.

Josh

• CRF45OX

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:31 PM

Hey Josh, now that you have your cam replaced with the correct one, do you have any e-start issues with it or anything else?

Did you have to rejet after you installed the hotcams or do any other mods?

Great thread by the way.

• SXP

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:37 PM

Hey Josh, now that you have your cam replaced with the correct one, do you have any e-start issues with it or anything else?

Did you have to rejet after you installed the hotcams or do any other mods?

Great thread by the way.

His bike is a 426 - no e-start :lol:

• CRF45OX

Posted January 04, 2007 - 12:14 AM

Damn im a dumbshit, i totally forgot about that.

• jbrooks26

Posted January 04, 2007 - 01:17 AM

I did some fine tuning on the jetting, but I can't say that it was because of the hotcam. My jetting was not perfect before the upgrade, so my problems could have just been amplified by the cam swap. The jetting does seem to be a little more touchy since the new cam install though. Hope this helps.

Josh

• CRF45OX

Posted January 04, 2007 - 01:58 AM

no worrys, just what i wanted to know. Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.