Dunlop D952

6 replies to this topic
  • Doug kirkpatrick

Posted November 25, 2005 - 07:02 AM

Not too much info on the D952's out there yet. Any opinions? Is there any issue that a lower profile tire is the only one available (110/90-18 vs stock 110/100-18)? This is for So. Cal High desert riding primarily. If I don't hear good things about the 952 I will go for a Maxxis IT.
Thanks for any opinions.
Doug :applause:

• jonova

Posted November 25, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Have you tried the D739AT. I just raced the Baja 1000 on the D739's and never got a flat. I use them in my D38 races down in San Diego's deserts too and they work really well. I've never riden the D952 but have heard that for desert the D739 is better.

• Matty05

Posted November 25, 2005 - 07:17 PM

I running dunlop 952's, the back im running is 120/90-18. The 110 is too small, but great on the WR250.

What a wicked set of tyres! The wear rate is slow and even, but quicker than 739's.
They provide more grip than 739's everywhere besides the bitumen.
That is the price you pay for grip.

Front tyre is absolutely awesome.

No other tyre front or back is ever going to touch my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted November 26, 2005 - 01:00 PM

what do you ride in out there? if it's the desert, the desert 739's a pretty hard to beat. they're tougher than the oem moto 739's. if it's real dirt and mud, forget the 739's. you can do a lot better. i put a maxis it on the back and it has lasted a long time. i was not impressed with the traction. that's the trade off. it'll last twice as long as a 752 or m12 but you pay for it. it's pretty heavy also. i've got a 952 on the front. i'm pretty impressed so far. the first ride was mud and it seemed to clean out well. yesterday was a 85 mile 'little bit of everything" kind of ride. i'd give it a 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. not as good a bite as a m12, 742, or bridgestone 401 but is showing little or no wear. don't know if any of that helps.

• 642MX

Posted November 27, 2005 - 11:06 AM

I've used the 952's all year. I like the traction and they do wear good. But, I have had more flats this year than ever before. I may go back to a 756, I think the side wall is better built on a 756.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 27, 2005 - 09:51 PM

I have a 952 rear on my TT-R 250. Its the 110/90 18 inch and this tire is bad ass. Traction for days with that bad boy on there in any terrain (even goop) which wasn't the case with the stock 739.

No other tyre front or back is ever going to touch my bike

I second this, as long as the 952 stays reasonably priced it will be my tire of choice for any bike I will ever own!! :applause:

• minion

Posted November 28, 2005 - 08:17 AM

what do you ride in out there? if it's the desert, the desert 739's a pretty hard to beat. they're tougher than the oem moto 739's. if it's real dirt and mud, forget the 739's. you can do a lot better. i put a maxis it on the back and it has lasted a long time. i was not impressed with the traction. that's the trade off. it'll last twice as long as a 752 or m12 but you pay for it. it's pretty heavy also. i've got a 952 on the front. i'm pretty impressed so far. the first ride was mud and it seemed to clean out well. yesterday was a 85 mile 'little bit of everything" kind of ride. i'd give it a 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. not as good a bite as a m12, 742, or bridgestone 401 but is showing little or no wear. don't know if any of that helps.

I have a pair of Maxxis HTs on the girl's bike, and they seem to do ok. Not the best tire when the dirt is soft, but for hard pack, they seem to stick pretty good.

I run the Pirelli Scorpion Pros on my WR450. Those tires were actually laughing at the stock tires I had when I brought them into the garage. :ride:

I tell ya, those California people really ruined our bikes - AIS, really crappy desert tires, throttle stops, etc. I wish Yamaha didn't force the dealers to use those crappy 756s and 739s. If they shipped a bike to them for assembly without tires, people in places other than california could actually get some tires made for their terrain. Desert tires aren't worth a :applause: in the mud.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.