going GREEN tommorow

158 replies to this topic
  • johntt4

Posted November 25, 2005 - 02:46 PM

January, 2006. Starts on page 62.

• falshh

Posted November 25, 2005 - 04:53 PM

Well I just got the bike and it is sweet!! i did have a problem starting it, but with a pilot screw adjustment I think I have that taken care of.I will give a report soon, as soon as there is decent weather around here again.

• Satch0922

Posted November 25, 2005 - 05:22 PM

this thread cracks me up........

• viggen

Posted November 25, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Maybe the japanese companies need to do what KTM does

offer a 4 & 6 speed on some of their bikes :applause: My brother 05 525 smc has a 4 spd & he wants the 6 speed, it's like a $350 option :ride:

• DBH

Posted November 26, 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'm coming off an '03 YZ450F with a four speed. I have ridden one full day on my new 5 speed '06 YZ450F. On the track, it's still the same: I use two gears. On the '03, it was second and third gears. On the '06, it's third and fourth gears. So what's the difference? Nothing. Except I can now use the '06 for supermoto and cross country races without screaming the four speed, wishing I had another gear.

I will never go back to a four speed again. It offers no advantages over a five speed. I would have looked at the KXF for '06, but a four speed kills the bike in my opinion. And I'm a die hard motocrosser, riding the amateur races at Washougal, Glen Helen, Hangtown, etc.

I'm sure the KXF is a great bike. It is not necessarily a positive for it to be a four-speed however.

• kizzle426

Posted November 26, 2005 - 11:55 AM

:applause: I would never buy a first year Kawi, not in a million years. And to do it because of one extra gear? That's just plain silly.

• lemonaid

Posted November 26, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Just got new MXA, they say that the 4 speed tranny on the kx450 are poorly spaced and it doesn't handle well. They consider the motor "chuggy" and "pleasant". I'd go with the Yamaha.

Now thats funny.
MXA said This so I will buy the yamaha instaed of the Kawasaki.
Any one who buys a bike now based on what the mags say might as well burn his money.
test ride and dealer support is what is important.
I bet they are all good bikes this year!!!!!!!

• johntt4

Posted November 26, 2005 - 12:52 PM

I also go by their track record(reliability, build quality). Kawasaki has done nothing that impresses me in these departments. First year Kawi ? Pleeeeeze.....

• TeamEndo

Posted November 26, 2005 - 02:34 PM

Hope the KXF is all its said to be, I wouldn't buy a bike with an unproven durability record regardless of what the mags say....wait a minute, i guess i did buy a YZ400!

Let us know what you think of the Kawi! I've had good luck with their two strokes.

:applause:

• falshh

Posted November 26, 2005 - 03:05 PM

The rm turned out to be a first year 450 and it turned out good, I bet kawasaki has more design and testing on its new 450 than yamaha has on its NEW 450. lets face it the 06 yamaha is all new also, and untested.Like I said before unless you are close to pro level most of this stuff is just for fun and wont really matter anyway, my new green bike looks great next to my blue one and all my riding gear goes with both colors.
Buy the way the kx450 has had excellent reports look at the new dirt rider mag and the kx450 forum. reliabily is to be seen, but worst case you may need to redo the head, if it turned out to be really bad.
The frame , The engine oil system suspention everything on the new yz is new and not modified from last years yz so they really are in the same boat, but I bet kawasaki has more time in the design.I really dont want to get in a shooting match between the two I think you cant go wrong with the top 4 brands period!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ifitaintbluitspoo

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:24 PM

The rm turned out to be a first year 450 and it turned out good, I bet kawasaki has more design and testing on its new 450 than yamaha has on its NEW 450. lets face it the 06 yamaha is all new also, and untested.Like I said before unless you are close to pro level most of this stuff is just for fun and wont really matter anyway, my new green bike looks great next to my blue one and all my riding gear goes with both colors.
Buy the way the kx450 has had excellent reports look at the new dirt rider mag and the kx450 forum. reliabily is to be seen, but worst case you may need to redo the head, if it turned out to be really bad.
The frame , The engine oil system suspention everything on the new yz is new and not modified from last years yz so they really are in the same boat, but I bet kawasaki has more time in the design.I really dont want to get in a shooting match between the two I think you cant go wrong with the top 4 brands period!

mate keep telling yourself the kx450 has had more testing than the 06yz450 because im not believing any of it.06 yammi might be new but its still using the same tried and trusted(8 years)of yammi research and development,sure all the 06 bikes are awesome but none have reliability of the yamaha period.lets see how that head and valve train go?lets hope its not like what hondas,kawa' suz,ive seen over the last few years because they have seemed to be money pits.had to have my say sorry if this offends but its my view.

• falshh

Posted November 27, 2005 - 12:29 AM

Its not offensive, I did say in my thread there possibly could be head problems but based on the manual of yamaha and other 4-strokes you should rebuild the head and piston at 30 hours .with this said Honda had valve problems using titanium and steel valves, so at the first rebuild switch to stainless valves and new valve springs.Kawi and suzuki 250s had problems with valve springs being too soft, again first rebuild switch to stainless valves with matching springs.according to dirt bike magazine by donig this setup on any 4-stroke it takes the life of the head up to like 90 hours before doing another rebuild.My point is this will solve all those head problems that those bikes had,worst case is you may have to do it before the first 30 hours if it turns out to be a really bad design, so based on these other manafacturers problems they really arnt long term and they are easily fixable.This is why I dont think I am taking that big of a risk.Dont forget yamaha has had some serious turning problems with there bikes if you compare to all the other manafacturers, and that is very difficult to fix, and it is still to be seen if they got that right yet, I know suzuki and kawi got it right on there first try!

Point is all bikes have pros and cons and usually aftermarket companys give you options to fix most of the design flaws.

Wow I cant believe this thread has lasted so long its really starting to crack me up also!!!

• falshh

Posted November 27, 2005 - 01:24 AM

Yea I read that and that was funny.By the way on you problem with being stuck beween choosing which gear, if you change your rear sprocket to a different size to match the track you are on you can resolve that problem.I had that same problem with the stock rear sprocket on a tight track I went to a bigger tooth rear sprocket and solved the problem of second is too low and third gear is too high.
There is actualy a section in the yamaha manual that helps you set it up per track, just like the pros do.

You know the gear thing is the first reason I started looking at kawi or suzuki, but as I did more research I just liked the whole idea of the bike and wanted it .Kawasaki for stroke was designed with MOTOCROSS ONLY in mind it did absolutely nothing to cater to trail or enduro riders, it is trictly motocross bike and I liked that about it , there are other reasons I like it also.The new yz450 is also sweet looking and I know I would probably love it also if I had one, but maybe down the road I will?

• EastBayThumper

Posted November 27, 2005 - 03:16 AM

why do you have to go 06? I just got an 05 yz450f for $5500 OTD. taking it on the track for the first time when the sun comes up.

• Satch0922

Posted November 27, 2005 - 04:44 AM

yeah the RMZ was a great first year bike...but not flawless. Manual cam chain tensioner? Please. Yeah it was so great that RC would not race the stocker's frame and Zookie had to burn their exception from the production rule so they could build a new frame.

As far as KXF...they completely scrapped the first KXF frame less than 18 months ago. Testing? It was not even good enough for them to let Bubba ride it (and burn thier production rule exemption) just 6 short months ago!

The YZF design crew has been building bikes since 1996 and Doug Henry won the 250 National Championshion ship on one in over 7 years ago.

Yeah the frame is new....so was the frame on the 05 YZ250.....and it is awesome. Have no doubt. The YZF will reliable. I am riding one here in about 5 hours....I will let you know what I think! :applause: (right DPW? )

• bedell99

Posted November 27, 2005 - 09:52 AM

Did you notice Burners works bike Satch in the new Transworld. Different frame than what is production. I have no problem with a company trying to continuely update there products. I would never buy a first year kawasaki. I learned my lesson. I would buy a second or thrid year though, but I will either stick with honda's or yamaha's for a while. I love my 05 YZ250 and plan on getting an 07. I id my top end in 1 night and that inculded completely cleaning the cylinder and carb, but damn do I want a 250f also.

Erik

• letter

Posted November 27, 2005 - 10:26 AM

According to Dirt Bike Magazine, a five speed is better, even for motocross. They say that with a 4 speed, there is only one correct gear for each part of the track but with a 5 speed, there is always more than one correct gear. The 5 speed may not equal more shifting on a track.

• falshh

Posted November 27, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Dude get the 5 speed and let it rest!!!like I said before they both are cool!

• falshh

Posted November 27, 2005 - 11:28 AM

why do you have to go 06? I just got an 05 yz450f for $5500 OTD. taking it on the track for the first time when the sun comes up.

I dont have to go 06 In fact I dont need one at all I just want one and I wanted an aluminum frame also.
congrats on your 05 im sure youll love it.

• sjwr450

Posted November 27, 2005 - 12:26 PM

When are you going to write a comparision?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.