going GREEN tommorow

Sorry guys Im buying a kx450 tommorow.I currently have a 04yz450 and absolutely love it and the quality, and Yamaha is still my favorite, but the 06 isnt offered in a 4-speed and Im not buying a bike that I have to shift more on the track with since all I do is motocross.Im defenatily keeping my yamaha so dont kick me off the forum, I just love the bike especially with the new exhaust I put on it (pro circuit t-4 with a fmf megabomb header)!!!

But I wanted a new bike and like a said yamaha didnt offer one I wanted.

I will give a full comparisen soon for anybody interested.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats my point! the new yz is a 5-speed and I want to stick with a 4-speed like my 04yz.Yamaha went to a 5-speed so they can sell more bikes and cater to guys who do motocross and trails.I do only motocross and arnt going to go to 5 gears just to be brand loyal.I mean lets face it If you buy red,blue,green,or yellow you really cant go wrong, they all have there strengths and weeknesses, and all are good quality machines.

A lot of guys are really brand loyal and that makes absolutely not sense, A manafacturer, makes a bike and if you think the bike is quality then you pay a lot of money for it, the manafacturer doesnt give you a discount if you buy another one the next year.They make a good product and you pay good money for it.There is no loyalty after that ,it isnt your wife or a family member or your job ,its a company that is only out there to make money.Yamaha is a very well made bike and I have no problem with people buying one again because they trust the company and know they will get a good bike because they have had success in the past, my opinion is the top 4 brands all have quaility bikes for the most part and if your current favorite manafacturer doesnt have what you want go to the next guy you can trust with a good product.I could say yamaha wasnt loyal to me because they didnt make a true motcross bike with 4-speeds, but that would be stupid they are out to sell to the biggest market and most people dont do only motocross so the 5-speed is better for majority of people, and from a bussiness standpoint they are smart to do that!!

couldn't agree more, the 5 speed is a negative for me too, love the 4 gears. But that being said I'm still going blue for 06 not because I'm brand loyal but because i know the 5 valve engine is bullet proof. My 03's done 260 hrs with new piston and rings at 100hrs and that's it, valves still exactly at factory spec and starts first kick almost always. It's that kind of reliability that was the deciding factor for me, performance of all the 450s looks to be real close for o6 but lets see how they hold up.

Sorry guys Im buying a kx450 tommorow.I currently have a 04yz450 and absolutely love it and the quality, and Yamaha is still my favorite, but the 06 isnt offered in a 4-speed and Im not buying a bike that I have to shift more on the track with since all I do is motocross.Im defenatily keeping my yamaha so dont kick me off the forum, I just love the bike especially with the new exhaust I put on it (pro circuit t-4 with a fmf megabomb header)!!!

But I wanted a new bike and like a said yamaha didnt offer one I wanted.

I will give a full comparisen soon for anybody interested.

Falshh - congrats on the green machine...I am very interested in a comparision. This green bike will be sweet - I would have rather the Yami had 4speed as well. But the gear ratios are such that it should not make much difference. I know one thing...The Green bike is about 500 dollars cheaper....and can be purchased under 6k...this is what every 450 price should be.... :ride: The kawi is probably the best ever brand new 450 release....they definetely did their homework. :applause:

I'm not particularly brand loyal per se, look at my sig but I am brand specific in my hate. I wouldn't take a Green bike if you gave it to me and told me it shot gold nuggest out of the ass end of the exhaust pipe.

So, adding an extra gear to make the bike more versatile on track and on trail is a bad thing? ?:ride::applause:

sounds like you may have had a bad experience with Green.

I guess I have just been spoiled with the 4-speed, and when riding with my buddies who have 5-speed hondas and they shift about double as much per lap made me want to stick with 4- speed.I mean lets face it Im not even close to pro so it doesnt really matter either way but its a fun sport for me I like the bikes and working on them andriding so I get what I want.That is after I get the ok if you know what I mean. :applause:

Have you compared the gear ratios of your '04 to the '06 YZ? They might be very similar and just have a short first gear like was mentioned. I would see that more seeing as on the trails the tall first gear can be kind of annoying. I mean '03-'05 the YZ450F's had the exact same gear ratios. They might be exactly the same or very very similar for '06. Im just saying I would check before I got a brand new machine

I like My Yami a whole lot. Its the second one Ive had in two years. Not one problem with either bikes. They both were good too me! I think that Kaw is going to be an awesome bike though. Ive been down to my local dealer a couple of times checking it out. And I must say it fits me good. And, I am partial to four speeds, they work for me. Less shifting involved. Waiting for them to get the new Yamaha 450 in so I can give it a closer look. I plan on buying another new bike next year, and its gonna be a tuff call between the two. Curious to read the 450 shoot out when it happens. Have fun with your new ride!!

Have you compared the gear ratios of your '04 to the '06 YZ? They might be very similar and just have a short first gear like was mentioned.

i would hope someone would exactly examine the gear ratios before making a decision based simply on the number of gears. i'd be a nickel that the gears on the 06 aren't significantly closer, just a wider range. i could be wrong tho, but you better believe i'd find out before making any decisions.

After doing some seach for 2006 gear ratios this is what I found:

2005:

Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 27/14 (1.929)

Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 25/16 (1.563)

Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 23/18 (1.278)

Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 21/20 (1.050)

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup/competition/yz-f/spec/index.html ?

2006:

1st 1.929

2nd 1.533

3rd 1.278

4th 1.091

5th 0.952

The above gearing is also confirmed by the german websites.

http://www.yamaha-motor.de/products/motorcycles/competition/yz450f.jsp?view=techinfo

Surprising, seems that gears 1-3 are almost identical. The real difference is in 4th and 5th. :ride:

So you guys who have the bike already, how do you find the gearing?

What does your manual say?

Can we say someone is about to make a mistake in going Green just because Yamaha has 5-speed gearbox that actually only makes a difference in top speed compared with 2005 4-speed? :applause: