mobil 1, 5 50w (all I can get)

5 replies to this topic
  • jezza426

Posted August 28, 2001 - 05:17 PM

the only mobil 1 I can get here in Australia is 5 50w. is this going to cause any dramas as I see you all use 15 50 ????
ta Jezza

• Scott_F

Posted August 29, 2001 - 03:28 AM

If it says "energy conserving" on the round "seal" on the back of the bottle, it may cause clutch slippage. If you can find that one, surely the others must be available somewhere. You want the red cap one, 15W-50.

• Pete_Z

Posted August 29, 2001 - 04:20 AM

See if you can find either Amsoil,Torco or Motul four stroke motorcycle oil.IMHO better than the Mobil 1,but probably more expensive. Just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DOC

Posted August 29, 2001 - 11:56 PM

Why don't you use Mobil 1 4T 15W50 or MX4T 10W40? they are both motorbike specific oil and are designed with friction modifiers to be compatible with wet clutches. Contact the Mobil help line or your local Mobil distributor on how to get them. I would not recommend using Mobil 1 5W50 or any other automotive oil in your bike. There is a difference between MC and car oil! Think about how much stress your oil goes through lubricating your engine, and then the stress it sees while working in the transmission! Brutal.

• WR400inOZ

Posted August 30, 2001 - 04:57 PM

I use the Mobil 1 4T and find it at a lot of motorbike shops here in Oz (Melbourne)

Its the Mothers Milk of oil for your thumper.

• motojeffn

Posted September 05, 2001 - 10:49 AM

Best stuff I've found is the Motul oil. Use their 10/40 synthetic. Works great, haven't worn out a clutch in 20 races, and my YZ 250F shifts better than new.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.