cross country trip-where to go?

21 replies to this topic
  • bonez34

Posted August 28, 2001 - 02:34 PM

me and some friends are taking a tip this fall and one guy suggested little sahara. he has a friend around there where we could stay for free but we don't know anything about the mid-west so any suggestions would be welcome. since the drive is so long we would really like an epic trip and unbelievable terrain and trails.

• MOmilkman

Posted August 28, 2001 - 02:56 PM

Ive never been there but I have heard lot of great things about Moab, UT. I know a lot of the guys on this site have been and its one place i would like to go someday. That would definatly be a trip of epic proportions.

As far as little sahara I can tell you I have been there and it is fun to a certain extent but you are limited to how far you can go and what you can do. I think the fun wears thinner, faster, than Moab would.

I say take a extra day and go the extra mile.

------------------
Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

• DrDirt

Posted August 30, 2001 - 08:27 PM

Originally posted by bonez34:
me and some friends are taking a tip this fall and one guy suggested little sahara. he has a friend around there where we could stay for free but we don't know anything about the mid-west so any suggestions would be welcome. since the drive is so long we would really like an epic trip and unbelievable terrain and trails.

Some friends and I go to northwestern New Mexico several times/year. We are going again in Oct(5th-7th) The riding area is just east of Farmington NM. Great single track with lots of varied terrain. Durango Colorado is about 1 hour away; Moab is 3-4 hours. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you more info. You can E-mail me at famchiro@eaznet.com.
Later

• John_H

Posted August 30, 2001 - 09:00 PM

I thought about mentioning Farmington. I lived there in my teens and rode Choke Cherry (Canyon) daily since it was in my back yard. I was up there last weekend. The little woman (she's just learning) loves it. All those oilfield roads. I'm a bit frustrated taking her because everytime I see a trail, I want to see where it goes. Great variety, oilfield roads, washes, sandstone, single tracks, lots of stair steps, and a little clay. If anyone heads up there, give me a heads up and I'll drive up from Albuquerque. Also checked out the bluffs this weekend in the 4wheel drive. Some incredible hill. Most were pretty sandy which kept me from riding with the little woman (she tips over in sand). You can end up in Southern Colorado from Farmington. So many trails everywhere!

[This message has been edited by John H (edited August 31, 2001).]

• *mike68*

Posted August 31, 2001 - 12:29 AM

Come on up to NH. Riding is great up here.

• Butta

Posted August 31, 2001 - 03:11 PM

I grew up in Durango, and rode around the track just east of Aztec and the big sand hills east of Farmington. Great places to ride. Never realized how spoiled I was until I moved, and now, living in Jacksonville, FL, would pay a lot of money to have those places within reach like they were back then........ the good ole days...

------------------
'98 WR400, S-3B Viking

• DrDirt

Posted August 31, 2001 - 05:13 PM

Hey John H,
We are going for sure on Oct. 5-7. We will arrive mid-afternoon on Fri., ride for about 3-4 hours. Hit it hard all day Sat. and 4-5 hours on Sunday, maybe more if we are not to beat. We usually stay at the Super 8 in Bloomfield. Let me know if you are game for at least the main event on Saturday.
Later, Gary

• John_H

Posted August 31, 2001 - 06:39 PM

DrDirt
Sounds good. I'll put it on my calendar. I work evenings m-f but might be able to take off on friday or leave work early and drive up late friday night. Only about a 3.5 hr drive from Albuq.

• bonez34

Posted September 05, 2001 - 03:08 PM

thanks for the replys guys. mike68 , we are tired of woods and want some really wide open areas so we can actually find out if our bikes really have a fifth gear or if it was a sales fluke!!!! we will definitely (sp) come up sometime though. who knows, plans fall through with the funds and nh is a one day drive from here. we'll be in touch, thanks!!!

• John_H

Posted September 05, 2001 - 09:06 PM

ride wheelies, turn arond, wait for the friends and suck on the camelbak. Then grind up a few hills and there they are in a dust trail. Don't think you'll be disappointed around here.

[This message has been edited by John H (edited September 06, 2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • *mike68*

Posted September 06, 2001 - 02:08 AM

My door is open, don't forget my winter riding trip.

• Greg_C

Posted September 06, 2001 - 03:12 AM

Bones, Are you the guy I was talking to at the CMX track? I took a trip with my brother across country from San Fran to Va. We didn't have motorcycles just mountain bikes. We stayed in Moab for a week then went to Telluride Co. for a few days. I would highly recommend them both, it only took us a few hours to get to Telluride from Moab. Then you can do the desert thing and the rockies. We should ride some time send me an email greg_corbett@bshsi.com

• dadio

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:06 AM

Hello everyone. Been lurking for awhile and first post. Mike where in NH are you. I have been riding up around Plymouth for the past couple of weeks. Logging roads and trails up there are pretty fund to ride on. Last weekend went out for about five hours on the trails. Where do you go to ride in the winter?

Originally posted by *mike68*:
My door is open, don't forget my winter riding trip.

• *mike68*

Posted September 06, 2001 - 05:30 AM

I ride all over. I am hoping to get out and ride 100 miles sat if all goes well. Are you road legal? Do you want to ride Sat am?
I live in lindonderry and trails start at the end of my driveway during the summer.

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited September 06, 2001).]

• dadio

Posted September 06, 2001 - 06:35 AM

No I am not road legal. I have a couple of 2 strokes right now. I am looking to get a 4 stroke for next year hopefully. I probably won't be riding this weekend but maybe soon we can get together and ride. I am registered in NH for offroad but no street legal here.

Originally posted by *mike68*:
I ride all over. I am hoping to get out and ride 100 miles sat if all goes well. Are you road legal? Do you want to ride Sat am?
I live in lindonderry and trails start at the end of my driveway during the summer.

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited September 06, 2001).]

• *mike68*

Posted September 06, 2001 - 06:48 AM

I can still get a bit of riding in, 60 miles or so without having to cut down any roads. Unfortunatley you have a 2 smoker, so I cant take you. :)

Drop me an e-mail when you have that 4 stroke.

We'll I guess you will be followin me so I won't have to smell it. Uh... Ok....Drop me an e-mail when you are ready you thumpertalk poser! :D

• sirhk

Posted September 06, 2001 - 07:27 AM

Bonez,

I don't know how far you want to go but as far as I'm concerned the actual Disneyland of riding is abbout 2 hours east of San Diego, Ca. Ocotillo Wells has everything you'd ever want. Wide open washes where you're looking for 6th gear, tight canyons that you can actually scrape your bars on, 200'cliffs to climb and drop off, and jumps everywhere you look from tiny 2nd gear stuff to 5th gear Seth Enslow jumps in fact I can show you half the Crusty video jumps. If that's not enough you only gotta go another hour east and you're at Glamis with all the dunes you'll ever want to ride. HUGE bowls to fly around in 5th gear and jumps that you can work your way up to easily clearing 80'-100' gaps. I know it's a long ways from the East but damn it's fun!!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• dadio

Posted September 06, 2001 - 08:03 AM

ok so i am a TT poser. Not only do I ride a "2 SMOKE" one is yellow and the other is green. I would be more than happy to follow you as long as I get to see some sweet trails in the area. I don't know if I could make it 60 miles on a tank of gas though. 250's eat it up quick. I can email you but it is not in your profile. Give me a shout at my address and we can get together before the snow.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>97 RM250<LI>97 KX250<LI>00 1200 Sportster
[/list]

• *mike68*

Posted September 06, 2001 - 08:18 AM

Hey Poser,
Your e-mail is not listed either. Hmmmm. Mine used to be listed.

• dadio

Posted September 06, 2001 - 09:36 PM

My email is dadio74@jager.com. I couldn't see it either.

[This message has been edited by dadio (edited September 06, 2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.