83 xl600r - compatible with XR tank?

6 replies to this topic
  • natefalls

Posted November 23, 2005 - 06:32 PM

I might be acquiring a low-mileage XL600r in a couple days, but only if I can replace the sad little gas tank it comes with. I'd like to not have to fill up every 75 miles or so, thanks.

So is it possible to use a tank from the same era XR, or does someone actually make a replacement tank? I've done a lot of googling, and I can't seem to find anyone who makes a large tank for the XL-R.

Also, has anyone here fabricated/modded a desert tank? How hard/reliable is it to plastic weld polyethylene?

• knuklehead

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:15 PM

If any one will have it,it will be clarke

• XL600Rguy

Posted November 24, 2005 - 02:20 PM

http://www.clarkemfg...y_Code=honda xr

This is the only replacement tank I ever found specifically for an XL600R. I too would be interested in knowing whether other larger replacement tanks would fit on the Honda XL600R as the stock tank does not allow one to go very far.

- XL600Rguy :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted November 25, 2005 - 02:29 PM

I had that exact bike and with the stock tank it would go 130 miles before you hit reserve. The stock tank is larger than you think.

Posted November 25, 2005 - 06:22 PM

3.2 Gal Stock Tank X 40-45 Mpg = 127 Miles.

• natefalls

Posted November 26, 2005 - 10:43 AM

I guess I'm just spoiled. My SV does better than 210 miles before it goes dry, and I like road trips.

You know what would be kind of cool, though? A rear universal auxiliary tank like Acerbis makes, only with a rear rack integrated. Bolt it to the back fender and you gain 1.6 gallons -and- something to strap things to. Think anyone would be interested? I have some friends who are pretty good at fabricating stuff.

• Atlasrider

Posted November 30, 2005 - 03:59 PM

I had that exact bike and I put a Clarke on it. Fit perfect and I think it was a 3.6 gal. maybe?

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.