98 WR400 HotCams install?

5 replies to this topic
  • Steve R

Posted November 23, 2005 - 02:22 PM

I recently bought a 98 WR400. I've been riding a 96 Kawasaki KDX200. Man, what a difference! :applause: I love the WR400 except for starting the damn thing. I'm only 140 lbs, so starting is a PITA. :ride: I've searched on here and found some good starting tips, and also read about the HotCams decompression cam. Sounds like what I need.

I can get the cam locally for $190, is that a pretty good price? Is it worth it to do this? How about the install? I've done about everything there is on cars/trucks, including engine work and setting up gears, so I have the tools necessary but I've never torn a 4 stroke bike engine apart. How difficult is the install, and is it something I should attempt myself or should I have a shop do it?

TIA

• 1rkcooper

Posted November 23, 2005 - 02:37 PM

The cam install should be very simple for you if you have any mechanical know how. You should have a manual or instructions from someone though. Here is a link with some great info http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/. Do some searches here and ask questions. Good luck and have fun.

• atf8611

Posted November 23, 2005 - 06:06 PM

I have very little mechanical experiance, but adjusting my valves and changing the bike to YZ timing (requiring removal of the cams) was a very easy job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OlaGB

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:47 PM

If you have adjusted youre valve`s before, then you sort of have done the job before..!

It`s exactly the same as when you removed the ex cam to change shims in the exhaust buckets. :applause:

I bought both exhaust and intake cam of ebay for my 450, for $258. Seen them go for $248 too..

• Birdie426

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Yup, I paid 230 for a set, also on e-bay, so 190 for the ex only sounds a little steap.

You will not be disapointed with the mod! Installaiton is easy (just bremember that you have to hold the decomp actuator fully retracted when you measure clearances!).

If you're not going to do both hotcams, you won't see much of a performance increase...so you might want to concider the factory 03/04 YZ or WR camshaft...it will save you about a benjamin over the hotcams exhaust cam.

• Steve R

Posted November 24, 2005 - 09:14 AM

If you're not going to do both hotcams, you won't see much of a performance increase...so you might want to concider the factory 03/04 YZ or WR camshaft...it will save you about a benjamin over the hotcams exhaust cam.

I'm into saving $$$. I'm now 48 years old and still ride hard with my 24 year old son. However, after crashing real bad a couple of years ago while jumping I now take it just a little easier than I used to - I don't heal as fast any more. So, I'm not really looking for a performance increase but rather the easier starting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.