yfz cam in yz cam mod?

4 replies to this topic
  • darksun27

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:49 AM

i bought a really cheap set of cams off a yzf 450 quad and i was wondering once i get these cams can i do the cam mod (moving the exhaust cam 1 tooth) that the yfz people are doing? by the way i think these cams are from either a 04 or 05 yfz and im putting them into a 2002 yz 426

• MattFisher

Posted November 25, 2005 - 10:03 AM

The YFZ quad cams are the WR450 cams. Advancing the exhaust will result in the auto-decomression not working. Installing it straight up will result in WR cam timing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darksun27

Posted November 25, 2005 - 12:00 PM

ok thanks

• darksun27

Posted November 26, 2005 - 09:03 PM

i installed the cams today, the auto decompression wasnt working well. i tried stock, advanced 1 tooth, retarded 1 tooth and it didnt seem to get any better ( it almost felt like you were kicking it over without the decompression cam, it did work a little bit though). are they not working right because these are the quad cams or could it be maybe my clearances arent right? :applause:

• MattFisher

Posted November 26, 2005 - 11:40 PM

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the decompression "bump" on the quad cam stuck out a very small amount less than on the dirtbike, but am really not sure.

It's been quite a while since I messed with my friend's YFZ, and I don't remember if there's a way to adjust the decompression release. Possibly someone with more recent and extensive experience will be of more assistance.

The only thing that I can think of at 11:30 at night (past my bedtime ;-) ) is maybe your valves aren't adjusted right, but I'd defer to someone more experienced on that too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.