Exhaust is tooo loud

12 replies to this topic
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:15 AM

Bought a '00 YZ426 and it came with a WB exhaust on it. I don't know much about aftermarket exhaust but i think it's the E-series and dear lord is it loud. I'm worried about getting on trails here in Michigan and being to way to loud to plate it. I tryed to do a search before i took up space for a new thread but didn't come up with much. :applause:

What can I do? links for purchases or pictures will be greatly appreciated.

• chadapotamus

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:27 AM

You could try to find the stock exhaust from a WR426 on ebay or something. It's alittle restrictive, but will be quieter.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:14 AM

It probably needs to be repacked -
Also if it is a Eseries - buy the sound/diffuser rings for it from WB it can be much quieter

• rdefonce

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Bought a '00 YZ426 and it came with a WB exhaust on it. I don't know much about aftermarket exhaust but i think it's the E-series and dear lord is it loud. I'm worried about getting on trails here in Michigan and being to way to loud to plate it. I tryed to do a search before i took up space for a new thread but didn't come up with much. :applause:

What can I do? links for purchases or pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Dustin, review the thread on first page (10 or so below your thread) about "YZ Spark arrestor suggestions" There's some good info there.

Ron D.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:49 AM

great thanks a lot guys,

Ga426, like i said i'm not hip to aftermarket pipes but if the diffuser rings are the thin pieces of metal inbetween the end cap and the rest of the muffler...i got em

and chad, i had thought about getting a stock pipe from some one but since i didn't put this pipe on i don't know what benefits it gave the bike...i may just have to bite the bullet and do that if i can't get this quiet enough

thanks again guys

• GixRider

Posted November 23, 2005 - 12:16 PM

Post up with whatever you end up installing. I've got the R4 exhaust on my 00 426 and it's over the top loud. I had a guy find me when he was lost. He could hear my exhaust over a mile away, so he decided to stop on the trail and get directions from me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scooter426

Posted November 23, 2005 - 01:16 PM

another great reason to have a loud exhaust!

>>I had a guy find me when he was lost. He could hear my exhaust over a mile away, so he decided to stop on the trail and get directions from me.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted November 23, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Post up with whatever you end up installing. I've got the R4 exhaust on my 00 426 and it's over the top loud. I had a guy find me when he was lost. He could hear my exhaust over a mile away, so he decided to stop on the trail and get directions from me.

i'll try to remember to do that, it may not be any time soon, there are a lot of things i need to get for it still. i rode over to my bro's house (around the corner on mostly back roads) and he said he could hear me at the last intersection...probably 2.5 miles of straight down the road.

i don't think there is much if any packing in this thing..it's insane :ride: i kinda like it...but then again my father in law is a hunter that hates sport bike anythings and tends to bitch about anything that he doesn't like

he's they type...sport quads are a waste, sport bikes are a waste, the only thing to do in your free time is mow the lawn and hunt....rable rable rable... :applause:

• BC61

Posted November 23, 2005 - 03:32 PM

if the diffuser rings are the thin pieces of metal inbetween the end cap and the rest of the muffler...i got em

How many plates do you have? is there an end plate/cap that is solid? If you don't have the solid end plate you will never get the thing quite. If the end cap is in place you can remove a few of the plates. The more you remove the quieter it will be.

• kawirider

Posted November 23, 2005 - 03:37 PM

If you want to buy new, there is the Q from FMF
http://www.rockymoun...57&navType=type
then there is the type 496 from pro circuit
and lastly, the E2 silencer from white brothers
Personally, I would go with the pro circuit. I have heard bad things about the FMF silencers and I have always had good luck with Pro Circuit.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:51 PM

From reading here and other places, it seems that nothing is better than the FMF-Q for being very quiet and still performing well. If I were in your shoes (wish I was, nothing but houses here now) I would go with the FMF-Q. Should be quiet enough to keep your neighbors in the woods happy, plus you'll still get very good performance.

Of course the least expensive option is removing rings from your current silencer, assuming you've got the solid back plate on it. Good luck!

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:53 PM

nope, no solid back plate on it, probably...8 or 9 plates but the last plate is just an exit pointed downward slightly...can i just get the solid plate??

probably used eh?

• David37

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Do yourself, other riders and your neighbors a favor and run a quieter pipe. Non-riders hate loud pipes and use the loud pipe argument to shut down riding areas. The WB E- Series is a notoriously loud pipe especially when you run the open end cap. If you're going to try to quiet the pipe down, purchase a closed end cap, repack the muffler and try running less that 8 discs. IMO, I would sell the E-Series and spend your $$ on a new and quieter pipe. I'm running the WB E2 on my 02 YZ250F, with the quiet/spark arrester insert. I like the E2 because it's high quality unit that is very well made and you can take out the spark arrester insert to open up the pipe by installing the open competion end ring (included) if you want to run an open=loud pipe. Small and larger end rings are also available from White Brothers. Other good pipes are the FMF Q2 and the Pro Circuit 496 which are both quiet pipes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.