K@N air filters?

11 replies to this topic
  • TeamEndo

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Has anyone tried one of the K&N MX Xstream paper element filters on their bike? I did a search but didn't find anything. Noticed Nathan Woods runs one on his YZ, read all their marketing speak, but wanted a real world review..seems like a logical move given their presence in the rest of the motorsports industry.

• CV4

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I personally wouldn't run the K&N's on anything that is exposed to dust. They simply will not filter out fine dust. Air flow may be slightly better on a clean K&N compared to a foam filter but once they get a little dirty the foam will flow better.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:45 AM

I've been running one for 6 months. I was skeptical, but figured my trucks have one and they didn't pass any dust driving to and from the tracks. My first test was a complete race weekend, went home removed sub-frame and airbox w/filter left alone inside. Once off i looked up the snorkel zero dust. I was sold.

BTW all my foam filters have past a little dust (I've used stock, twin air, and uni filter). I've even tried different filter oils, always a little dust has gone through. I guess if you ride 4 motos, plus practice its bound to happen.

• TeamEndo

Posted November 23, 2005 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the review, I figured if top WORCS racers are running it, it can't be bad, but i agree, it may need to be cleaned more often than a foam element. Did you have to change jetting? K&N says they pass more air than a standard foam filter....so.....?

• MotoGoalie

Posted November 23, 2005 - 12:14 PM

I personally wouldn't run the K&N's on anything that is exposed to dust. They simply will not filter out fine dust. Air flow may be slightly better on a clean K&N compared to a foam filter but once they get a little dirty the foam will flow better.

Same here. I wouldn't run them. I have run them in the past. I won't ever again.

• bg10459

Posted November 23, 2005 - 01:03 PM

When someone else is paying for your rebuilds (sponsor?) you run whatever makes the most power. When it's your dime, run whatever is best for your bike. I'd stick with the foam filter and clean and oil it frequently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted November 23, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Do a search on "K&N Air Filters" and you'll find lots of info. This info will be useful unless the "MX X stream paper element" filter has a different composition than the standard K&N screen cotton sandwich filters.

• Goosedog

Posted November 23, 2005 - 02:28 PM

My YZ ran with one for a year and now I've had to adjust the intakes three times in 10 months due to fine silt. Probably going to have to put in new valves now thanks to K&N. :applause:

• 450_rider

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:19 PM

I don't know why everyone doesn't like K&N i have been using one for a year and my valves are perfect, but then again i dont ride in to many dust areas. But i think i will run my K&N in spring and Fall and a Uni or twin air in summer, just dont want to risk messing with it. Nothing will flow like a clean K&N though, it sees like you can almost hear the air going into the engine.

• 642MX

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:34 PM

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I do not like K&N filters. My old truck had an aftermarket carburetor and I had to get a K&N filter for it. That thing let by more fine dust than any other filter I've ever used. I used K&N oil and tried a lot of oil and a little oil, still dust got by.

In regards to foam filters; I ride in some very dusty areas, like so dusty you can't see the ground in front of your front wheel if you're behind someone. I've never had dust by the filter and my 01' still hasn't required a valve adjustment, so I'm sold on oiled foam.

Remember; it's the oil that grabs the dirt. You have to be sure the entire filter is oiled, AND don't use a filter that has old oil on it. Old oil looses its tack and won't grab the dirt (especially aerosol oil). If the filter has been oiled but unused for a long time, then give it a cleaning and oiling before you go riding.

• David37

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:16 PM

I wouldn't run a K&N filter either, they let in too much fine dust. After reading an article about the Toyota Tundra air filter comparison between a K&N air filter and a stock air filter. The engine oil analysis found a much higher particulate matter (silt) in the engine oil when the truck was equipped with a K&N filter. The stock paper air filter did a much better job filtering out the fine silt and had a low particular matter count. The engine oil test was ran twice on the same Tundra with the same driver. I now use the factory air filter on my Sequoia and will never run a K&N filter on any of my bikes or vehicles where dust is an issue.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.