WR400 / 426 The good...the bad....???

9 replies to this topic
  • tizzer

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:17 AM

Im new to the WR series, and am in need of knowledgeable advice.

Can you guys tell me of any weak links in these bikes ? Was the early ones (98 and 99) any troubles ?? What are the improvements as you go to the next newer years. Was the improvements significant? Im trying to decide if I can justify the additional cost of the newer models. A 450 is to pricey for my budget.....but I dont know if the difference between a older 98 vs say, a 2000 is technically improved to the degree to make any difference ??

PLEASE HELP....I got the thumpin itch...but want to make a educated decision?

Thanks Tizzer :applause:

• R_Little

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:31 AM

The 98 through 2002 400/426 are basically the same.

Differrent rear wheel in '99
slightly differnt frame in 00
integrated hot start in 00
bigger bore and larger small end bearing in 01 w'426
titanium valves in 00 --- some like the steel valves better.
slightly diff swingarm and linkage in 02

Basically the same bike though.

Very reliable if a touch overweight for a race bike.

• byggd

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:56 AM

Both are pretty bullet proof. IMO the best of the group is the 02 wr426 :applause:

• bluethundaaaa

Posted November 23, 2005 - 03:08 PM

I agree....My 02 WR426 has not had a problem I didn't create. It has way more power then I will ever need.....however I did have the suspension revalved for my weight and riding style......That just made it all the better though. :applause:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:47 PM

In my opinion, I would go for an '01 or '02 WR426 (or an '00 WR400 if you can't find a 426). The improvements they made starting in 2000 made the bikes much better (I have a '99). The 426s are the best of all the WRs if you ask me. Down and dirty off-road bikes without all the refinements of the 450s. A bit overbuilt so they should last a long time. Gobs of power and very reliable if well maintained. Regular oil and filter changes are a must on these bikes. If one has been neglected pass it up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tizzer

Posted November 23, 2005 - 06:35 PM

Thanks guys !! :applause: Keep the info coming !!

What were the improvements that were made in 2000 ?? I seem to recall something about a update that improved the clutch or something .

Is the suspension the same between the 98 & 99 verses a 00 model ? :ride:

Thanks Tizzer

• wayneoXCF

Posted November 24, 2005 - 06:12 PM

Great bike, plenty of ripping power. Too top heavy though.

• jwriott

Posted November 24, 2005 - 07:17 PM

If you're looking at 98-02, I'd go with the 426 as suggested. The improvements while slight do add up and the bike flat out romps.

• FTD

Posted November 25, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Too top heavy though.

The Zip TY low boy tank helped a touch with that.

• buckwhylin

Posted May 29, 2009 - 08:14 PM

Awesome bike,plenty of power,seat a little bit hard on long rides otherwise
the WR is bulletproof.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.