Cam chain tensioner installation? Any better ideas guys?

11 replies to this topic
  • bigboredbiker

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:06 AM

Has anybody got any tips/tricks when reinstalling the cam chain tensioner? As I regularly pull the motor apart, the only way I have keeping that damn spring back is a zip tie and a lot of luck. I know there is a Honda tool for doing this, but no dealers are willing to let me buy one, or even borrow one. :applause:
Suggestions please!!

• Airman11783

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:05 AM

I wish I could help you the manuel says to make same thing out of 1/8" metal but i would like an easier way also Please help use on a easy way.

• thouk

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Bigbored,
The first question I have is which bike are you talking about? If you have a 650r then it is easy. I just put a thin flat blade inside the slot and held it with that. Worked for me, you might want to try it. Tony

• qadsan

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:52 AM

All ya need is one of those small flat balde screw drivers like those cheepo kinds companies give away for advertising. Simply insert the screwdriver into the slot and keep turning it until the pawl is fully retracted. At that point you should be able to turn the swcrewdriver past a detent which will hold the pawl in the retracted position even with the screwdriver removed. Install the cam chain tensioner and tighten the bolts. Insert the screw driver into the slot and turn the screw inside to release spring tension. That's all there is too it :applause:

• husky123

Posted November 23, 2005 - 01:23 PM

Bigbore,

I'll assume you are talking about the 600R by your sig. If so, disregard qadsans tips because although perfectly correct they are for the 650R. For the 600/650L Honda makes a neat little tool that slips into a hole on top of the tensioner and 'rests' on the head casting. With this, a screwdrive and another set of hands you can get her back in. Service Honda (I think) will sell you the tool.

Lee

• bootlegger2

Posted November 23, 2005 - 05:38 PM

i dont see an easy way to do it ,i have done it 2 ways though,safety wire tieing it down,and using a screw driver to push it down with a 3rd hand,believe the manuals tell you how to with the safety wire thing,it does work just make sure you can cut the wire and pull it out with out losing any of it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigboredbiker

Posted November 24, 2005 - 01:59 AM

i dont see an easy way to do it ,i have done it 2 ways though,safety wire tieing it down,and using a screw driver to push it down with a 3rd hand,believe the manuals tell you how to with the safety wire thing,it does work just make sure you can cut the wire and pull it out with out losing any of it

The safety wire idea is the same as the zip tie that I already use. Trouble is that when the thing is full of oil/grease it's very hard to keep the tie in place. That's where the luck comes in useful. Guess I'm just gonna have to keep harassing the dealers 'til they get me the proper tool....bet they are scared that I might be taking their profits away by servicing the bike myself eh?
P.s. has anyone got a technical drawing or something that I could copy the tool from? I have access to a machine shop....just a thought!!!!!

• bigboredbiker

Posted November 24, 2005 - 02:05 AM

All ya need is one of those small flat balde screw drivers like those cheepo kinds companies give away for advertising. Simply insert the screwdriver into the slot and keep turning it until the pawl is fully retracted. At that point you should be able to turn the swcrewdriver past a detent which will hold the pawl in the retracted position even with the screwdriver removed. Install the cam chain tensioner and tighten the bolts. Insert the screw driver into the slot and turn the screw inside to release spring tension. That's all there is too it :applause:

Thanks Gadsan, sorry wrong bike..lol. However, if I do ever pull a 650 apart, I now know how to fix it!! Top man...BTW where can I get a bald e screwdriver? American invention eh? (Shoot me now for the sarcasm)

• targetdrone

Posted November 24, 2005 - 06:14 AM

I did mine 2 weeks ago with my brother's help (OK, I helped him). A third hand holding a punch or screwdriver makes life so much easier. I could have done it alone, but it would have been a PITA and impossible without his impact wrenches.

• crmc33

Posted November 30, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Ive got a couple of XR650L based road race engines on which I always use a 1/2inch steel tube (about a foot long) with a squashed end. Insert the squashed end between tensioner and blade (with the tensioner shaft retaining bolt/pin removed) and lever the tensioner arm into place. Costs about zilch and works a treat. Have also used a tool like the pukka Honda one that inserts into the top hole on the tensioner - but I find the home made lever works better single handedly!

HTH.

• bigboredbiker

Posted December 05, 2005 - 09:37 AM

Ive got a couple of XR650L based road race engines on which I always use a 1/2inch steel tube (about a foot long) with a squashed end. Insert the squashed end between tensioner and blade (with the tensioner shaft retaining bolt/pin removed) and lever the tensioner arm into place. Costs about zilch and works a treat. Have also used a tool like the pukka Honda one that inserts into the top hole on the tensioner - but I find the home made lever works better single handedly!

HTH.

Any chance of a pic? Sounds like a good plan to me.... :applause:

• jr89xr600

Posted December 05, 2005 - 10:39 AM

I guess its an XR600

I use the same method suggested above, a tie wrap (at least I think thats a what a 'zip tie' is to us poms). I also use small piece of steel tube (i use the body of an old fountain pen) hooked over the straight bit of the spring as this helps to get it tensioned. Then slip a heavy duty tie wrap over the sping. Tug the tie wrap some more till the straight bit of the spring is parallel to the stright bit of the tensioner. If its in front of you you will see what I mean! You can then slip the tensioner into place, and cut the tie wrap and pull it out.

After you try a couple of times and you will get the idea and it becomes quite easy. A good idea to think about where you will cut the tie wrap, and which way around you put it on. The idea is you leave yourself one continuous pice of plastic rather than cutting it into two and hoping the bit hold together as you pull it out. Again try and you will see what I mean.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.