WR or YZ cam

12 replies to this topic
  • dh_dave

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:52 PM

Hey guys

I ride a 01 wr426 and I am planning putting a 03 auto decomp cam in my bike. My question is which cam would be better. I ride a lots of single track and love to go to moab. I weigh about 220. I used to own a 400 that was yz timed and liked it but now that I am on the 426 that is wr timed I like the added power and torque. Will I lose the bottom end if I go with the yz cam. Everyones suggestions are appreciated

thanks

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:12 PM

Hey guys

I ride a 01 wr426 and I am planning putting a 03 auto decomp cam in my bike. My question is which cam would be better. I ride a lots of single track and love to go to moab. I weigh about 220. I used to own a 400 that was yz timed and liked it but now that I am on the 426 that is wr timed I like the added power and torque. Will I lose the bottom end if I go with the yz cam. Everyones suggestions are appreciated

thanks

Dave, sounds to me like you already know the answers. You're right, you'll lose some bottom end grunt in trade for quickness.. For trails, single track etc... The WR cam is a much better cam.. For GPs and wide open stuff the YZ cam would bring life to the WR without sacrificing much..

• ncmountainman

Posted November 23, 2005 - 06:46 AM

the lack of bottom the yz cam offers actually comes in handy in low traction situations,throw on a fww, a rekluse and wheelspin at low rpm's is almost non-existant. the extra overrev comes in handy also,i believe a fast rider would benefit from a yz cam in a wr :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:26 AM

the lack of bottom the yz cam offers actually comes in handy in low traction situations,throw on a fww, a rekluse and wheelspin at low rpm's is almost non-existant. the extra overrev comes in handy also,i believe a fast rider would benefit from a yz cam in a wr :applause:

So basically, you throw in a YZ cam and install a Rekluse and a flywheel weight to comensate for the wheelspin gained by the YZ cam? :ride:

I've had my WRs timed both ways... By far the WR cam provides a smoother bottom end power delivery with less wheelspin. Less wheelspin equals more speed and traction through tighter terrain. If I had a YZ that I rode offroad I too would try to tame it down a bit with a flywheel weight and other aftermarket products to make it feel like the WR.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:41 AM

It is hard to beat the WR cam in low speed technical step ups. It is like the world heaviest trials bike! :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:24 AM

no thats not quite what i meant,having ridden both bike yz/wr both with the rekluse the yz cam power delivery down low is much smoother(if you can control the throttle and rpm's correctly) than the wr,because of the lack of bottom end torque. the wr spun much quicker in the same conditions :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kincade

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:36 AM

Wow, it really killed your low end? I took my YZ cam OUT because it gave me TOO much lowend; made it REALLY hard to ride in high traction low speed situations like Moab...

• byggd

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:52 AM

I have the YZ ex cam in my 02 wr426 and it has tons of power in all ranges and the rekluse helps deliver the power smoothly. The YZ ex cam and wr intake actually complement each other on the 426 but I don't think the same is true on the 450 :applause:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted November 23, 2005 - 10:44 AM

I have a YZ exhaust cam with a WR intake cam on my 03 450.

From my experience I did not precieve any loss of bottom end. IF anything, I gain bottom end because now it is way too easy to get wheelspin. Also, if there was any loss on the bottome end, I believe the gains you get in the mid-range easily make up for it.

On personal note, I like the wheelspin for the tight technical trail. You can get on the gas sooner, and power slide around the trees faster then brake sliding around a tree, and then gasing it. Everytime a PRO passes me and I'm able to hang with him for the next 3-4 trees, they are always wheelspinning like mad around trees. It's almost like they never even touch the brake.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 23, 2005 - 11:25 AM

no thats not quite what i meant,having ridden both bike yz/wr both with the rekluse the yz cam power delivery down low is much smoother(if you can control the throttle and rpm's correctly) than the wr,because of the lack of bottom end torque. the wr spun much quicker in the same conditions :applause:

I can't imagine how you can say the YZ cam coupled along with the Rekluse has a "smoother" power delivery than a WR coupled with a Rekluse.. I'll I here on these boards is how too mellow WRs are (even after proper mods).

Oh wait there's more.... Did you say with the YZ cam you can "control the throttle and RPM's correctly than the WR" WoW!!! I completely disagree with that one. I remember going to the YZ cam timing on my WR426, I lost the power to wheelie, normally with the WR cam I could wheelie for maybe a quarter mile or so, with YZ timing the power delivery was all over the place, it never found a happy place for the throttle, either is was WFO or it would shut off, that's a perfect example of "throttle control" if it reacts to a wheelie with those results just imagine how it would react in a steep single track trail full of boulders... More throttle control? NO WAY!

I can argue the point of wheelspin and traction all day long. A smoother power delivery equals more speed through traction. Without a doubt the WR has the smoother power delivery for offroad situations...

• ncmountainman

Posted November 24, 2005 - 07:54 AM

its kinda hard to explain,the wr power is 'right there' off the bottom (at least mine was) and the power builds quickly. whereas the yz has a kinda soft spot off the bottom that works well in the tough sections (if you can keep it there) and btw the wr intake cam is the same as the yz. maybe i'm just more sensative to whats going on than most people,but it works for me dan :applause: a perfect example would be when i rode with a couple wr's behind me on a tight uphill trail in kty. i could lug it up slowly with no wheel spin(with a bald tire no less) and they were stuck there spinning,and one of them had a rekluse. :ride:

• Gadsen

Posted November 24, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hey guys

thanks

You answered your own question. I had a WR426F and it was YZ timed, had modest low end, but the top hit hard! But I trail ride and afterselling the 426 and buying a new 450, after trail riding, loved the WR timing. Its perfect for what I do. I did buy a new OE Yammie auto decomp YZ cam and decided agaisnt it and sold it to a fellow TT member. He likes it and you may to, but you have to decide if you want a good trail power or track power. Sure, you can get the track power and make it work on the trail by knowing how it behaves and ride around it. But I do ONLY trail riding and love the nice grunt I get and my 450 still pulls like a Clydesdale!

• dh_dave

Posted November 24, 2005 - 04:14 PM

Ok so it sounds like a WR cam is the way to go for me. Does anyone a have a 03 wr cam that you would like to sell? Thanks for all the replys

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.