WR dont like winter weather

16 replies to this topic
  • kbryant3399

Posted November 22, 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hey all,
My WR has been stored in a non-heated garage since my last ride in mid october. I tried to start it up a couple of days ago and nuttin happened. I figured it was flooded so i waited till the next day. Still no luck. What should I do? It is a Kick start only and has a rekluse clutch, so push starting it is out of the question. Thanx dudes.

• jwriott

Posted November 22, 2005 - 12:51 PM

Install a new plug.

• ulmanb

Posted November 22, 2005 - 12:55 PM

have you tried a different by-pilot/starter jet? Made the dif on my crf. A yzf400 owner told me this.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:19 PM

Change the gas.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:30 PM

Change the plug.

Is your main jet and your pilot jet set up for the ambient temp?

• 5valve

Posted November 23, 2005 - 01:11 AM

wrist some throttle and kick few times, wrist again, and kick few times...and eventually it should come to life in a few tries if all is OK, even with old fuel

• don319

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:47 AM

After it sits awhile and won't start, before changing the plug, try dropping it on both sides. Drop it over until gas comes out the carb tubes. Put it on the other side and do the same. 9 out of 10 it will start. Works for my '02 and saves a lot of time.

• don319

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Oh, one other thing. If you have 20w40 in it, go to 10w40. Thick as syrup when cold.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 23, 2005 - 08:11 AM

Oh, one other thing. If you have 20w40 in it, go to 10w40. Thick as syrup when cold.

Good point Don....

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Yamaha makes a winter formula motor oil.

Change the plug.

If you still cant get it started change out the starter jet. There are 3 jets in the bottom of the carb, main, pilot, and starter. The starter jet only works when the choke is on. You know how the bike tries to start and dies. You have to keep trying to start it for like 10-15x before it will stay running. That is the starter jet. Go to a bigger starter jet. It helps imensiely. I keep preaching this to people but most dont listen. It works.

My yz400 uses a 65 starter jet stock. I switch to a 68 for down to 30 deg. Below that I go to a 72 starter jet.

• kbryant3399

Posted November 23, 2005 - 12:12 PM

i actually use delo400 Oil for the rekluse auto-clutch. Is it alright to change it and go with a lighter grade oil wothout causing harm to the clutch?

• 5valve

Posted November 24, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Yamaha makes a winter formula motor oil.

Change the plug.

If you still cant get it started change out the starter jet. There are 3 jets in the bottom of the carb, main, pilot, and starter. The starter jet only works when the choke is on. You know how the bike tries to start and dies. You have to keep trying to start it for like 10-15x before it will stay running. That is the starter jet. Go to a bigger starter jet. It helps imensiely. I keep preaching this to people but most dont listen. It works.

My yz400 uses a 65 starter jet stock. I switch to a 68 for down to 30 deg. Below that I go to a 72 starter jet.

what happens if too big starter jet in warm weather?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 24, 2005 - 03:21 PM

what happens if too big starter jet in warm weather?

Youl eat a plug is my guess. IT will be too rich a mixture for startup.

• 450high

Posted November 26, 2005 - 01:08 AM

Doesn't the starter jet only work with the choke on.If so how will it be to rich for a warm start without choke?

• 5valve

Posted November 26, 2005 - 08:58 AM

It wont be, he was reffering to cold start with choke...dont mix that with warm weather that I mentioned
cold bike starting mostly needs choke, regardless of the outer temp.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 26, 2005 - 12:53 PM

It wont be, he was reffering to cold start with choke...dont mix that with warm weather that I mentioned
cold bike starting mostly needs choke, regardless of the outer temp.

yea what he said. If you jet the starter jet too rich and try starting the bike (bike cold) in warm weather with the choke on it will more than likely eat a plug.

But for cold temps a bike runs lean. You gotta richen it up. And not just the main and pilot. There is the needle and starter jet that usualy need a little attension also.

Try the starter jet. It helps a lot.

• ulmanb

Posted November 27, 2005 - 08:07 PM

YZMAN400 is the one who turned me onto this last winter. On my crf450 I had rejetted according to the JD jet kit for the colder temp but it still would not start unless in a heated garage. After changing the starter jet, it starts just like in the warmer weather.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.