WR450f vs. Ozark Trail Riding

8 replies to this topic
  • MOHAWK

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:51 AM

Looking at getting a new bike...Just curious how a newer WR450f would perform in the rocky trails located in SW Missouri and NW Arkansas (i.e., Chadwick, White Rock, Wolf Pen Gap)? The bike would be used for trail riding/racing with my friends on weekend trips.

I've ridden all the new KTM 250/300 XCWs and the 400/450 EXCs at a recent Demo Day. All were very nice...might have to adjust the suspension, but that was it. However, pricing and availibility might keep me from going orange.

I've always respected the big Yamaha. Everyone seems to love their WRs and the reliability is very impressive.

I just thought I'd throw this question past the crowd to see what others have experienced.

How does the Yamaha do in the rocky tight trails of the Ozarks?

BTW...I'm 35 years old, been riding ~ five years, 6' and 210 lbs.

Many thanks!!! :applause:

• TARFELE

Posted November 22, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Chadwick, Mo. and Mocc. Gap in Arkansas are yearly trips for me and friends. We take bikes and ATV's but after last year from now on I am going to leave the ATV in the garage at home The bike is awsome and I found that the steeper the rock ledges the better. You wil not regret the WR for that riding.
I am 6'1" 240lbs and it fits good.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 22, 2005 - 11:49 AM

The older 03/04 WR450's are the king of the rock gardens! Very stable geometry and great ledge climbing bottom end power delivery! I have ridden both places you mention and I leave my KTM at home for that terrain! :applause:

• hankdog

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:09 PM

I've had the '05 WR450 for about three months now. I'm in SE. Springfield and the bike is tagged so I can just ride to the trails. The WR is great here...I ride with a couple guys with KTM's (450 & 525), and some guys with DRZ's. The KTM's are wonderful machines, and I don't think you could go wrong either way, but it does seem like the WR suspension was easier to dial in for this rocky terrain than the KTM's. I'm 5'9", 160lb and love this bike...I'm an intermediate rider at best, and the WR has way more capability than I do, but at the same time it remains stable and well mannered both suspension and power delivery wise. I'd go blue and spend the $ you save on gas and oil and try to wear that sucker out! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 22, 2005 - 04:09 PM

indy,me and a few other fellers rode at the harlan cty trail system in the kentucky mtns. they had one narly a$$ trail they called the widowmaker;rocks,rocks on top of rocks, roots on top of rocks,rocks on near vertical climbs. it was so bad that the atv riders that saw us come out were shaking their heads and saying no way you just did that whole trail :ride: well anyhow, 4 of the bikes were ktms; a 450,300,250 and a 200 all exc's i beleive. the other 5 were blue;2 yz450's,2 wr450's,and a yz250 2 smoke. all the blue bikes waited at the top for 30 mins before the 1st punkin' showed,then we sat there for 15 mins more while the 2 strokes attempted the final(and largest hillclimb) the 450 never even made it to the hillclimb and had to turn around. we then watched as the dejected punkin's turned tail cussing at us blue bloods 300'above them. laughing as they went we all decided that it had to be the bikes :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 22, 2005 - 07:57 PM

we then watched as the dejected punkin's turned tail cussing at us blue bloods 300'above them. laughing as they went we all decided that it had to be the bikes :ride:

Ha Ha Ha Ha! :p :p :lol: :p :p ;) :p :p ;) :bonk: :bonk: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :p

That was a great weekend! It would have made a great Yamaha commercial! :p :p :lol:
Nothing but blue bikes at the top after a wet slimy rock garden trail with lots of fallen leaves over a 2,000 foot climb and the last 300 feet was 45 degree grassy slope with absolutely no run up! The Yamaha bottom end grunt without wheelspin proved to be no match for all the KTM's that could not finish! :applause:

• 25year2stroker

Posted November 22, 2005 - 08:36 PM

I did not realize the distance between heaven & hell was only 300'

• jbrooks26

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:27 PM

I did not realize the distance between heaven & hell was only 300'

Sometimes it is even closer than that. Nice story, sounds like a place I would like to check out.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 23, 2005 - 05:18 AM

Harlan County KY has some great hill climb trails! They are a blast:

Pucker 1
Pucker 2
Futile
Intimidator
Widowmaker

Check them out when you can! And bring your 13 tooth sprocket! :applause:

You know it is tuff climbing when the rock crawlers (Maybe because it is KTM orange?) need to be winched up ( Blue cable!) ! :ride: :p

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.