klr 250 timing chain adjustment

2 replies to this topic
  • JWY

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Could someone please give me info on timing chain adjustment for a 1988 klr 250? Am I supposed to adjust it before the valves and how do you adjust it? The bike seems very noisey but I also heard that may be normal but I would still like to check it since I just got this bike and it was not well cared for any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

• 12bridn

Posted November 23, 2005 - 09:00 AM

You don't. The klr 250 has an automatic cam chain tensioner. If the chain is making noise either it needs replaced or the automatic cam chain tensioner has failed.

• Burnrider

Posted November 23, 2005 - 11:19 AM

Remove the center bolt on the auto chain tensioner. The bolt and srping should pop out. Remove the two 6mm bolts on the ACT body. Look at the detent/pawl part of the tensioner. There is a small spring loaded detent/pawl that locks the tensioner in place as the chain wears and the spring extends the pawl to keep tension. Depress the detent/pawl and push the shaft back into the body of the tensioner. Replace the body of the tensioner on the engine with the two 6mm bolts.

Install the spring and push tension on it with the bolt. If you do not feel resistance 3/8" to 1/2" away from the threaded hole, your chain is worn to the point of replacement.

Related Content

Wiki
Basic Mods for your KLX300 - last post by Scovndrel

Basic Mods for your KLX300

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

KLX140L jetting setup by IacobucciB

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Cr85 vs klx 140l by MostWanted117

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

My 2013 KLX250s Build by terrible1one3

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 125/140/250/300
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

Dual Sport? If so, Which one? by TiAg3er

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  26 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.