YZ spark arrestor suggestions please.:-)

13 replies to this topic
  • rdefonce

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:03 AM

Fellow Yamaha fans,

I've got a '99 YZ400F, with stock exhaust. I've been riding off-road some, so I should get a spark arrestor (for fire prevention, and maybe a little noise reduction!)
Questions: - Is there something that attaches to stock silencer, and if so does it work well?

- If that's not the hot setup, which one would you recommend, that would let me maintain power while running a bit quieter? (preferably one that wouldn't require a boatload of jetting changes!)

Thanks!

Ron DeFonce

• MotoGoalie

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:04 AM

I've been real pleased with how well the Q by FMF has worked on my bike. :applause:

• rdefonce

Posted November 22, 2005 - 12:26 PM

I've been real pleased with how well the Q by FMF has worked on my bike. :applause:

Thanks MotoGoalie, I'll file that under potential candidates!
Did it require much in the way of re-jetting?

Ron

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted November 22, 2005 - 12:29 PM

Get a Pro Moto Billet Spark Arrester.

Mine fit up nicely to my stock can and dropped the note down about a db to 98 ish.

Dirty

• schuon

Posted November 22, 2005 - 12:49 PM

the Q2 is supposed to be better than the original Q series. PMB should also be good, cheaper than a new scilencer. check out this site too, they claim to have straight pipe preformance and quiet it down to 96db and spark arrested.
http://www.purelycus...e-silencer.aspx

• MotoGoalie

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:28 PM

Thanks MotoGoalie, I'll file that under potential candidates!
Did it require much in the way of re-jetting?

Ron

No, not really. I leaned the pj a tad but I'm at high altitude and that prolly has more effect than the pipe.

• Goosedog

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Get a Pro Moto Billet Spark Arrester.

Mine fit up nicely to my stock can and dropped the note down about a db to 98 ish.

Dirty

I second that. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Guys, thanks, all this info really helps!
Ron

• brian389

Posted November 24, 2005 - 06:26 PM

I have a Pro-Moto end-cap on my '04 and it works great, smoothing the power, makes it quieter, and adds no weight.

brian

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 24, 2005 - 06:37 PM

another satisfied Pro moto Billet user here. It really is the best solution.

• rdefonce

Posted November 24, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I have a Pro-Moto end-cap on my '04 and it works great, smoothing the power, makes it quieter, and adds no weight.

brian

Brian, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I'm looking for.:-)
BTW, we travel to Col. every other year for dirt (or street) biking. I've found that Ouray is a great place to stage out of, since it's got such breath-taking scenery (my wife likes it for jeeping/scenery/shopping) and I go riding.

I've found that in high altitude (between 9k - 13k feet) my bike backfires quite a lot on the downhills . . . hope my slightly larger pilot jet, along with the spark arrestor, helps that a bit.

Ron

• David37

Posted November 24, 2005 - 11:18 PM

If you like the stock muffler, go with the Pro-Moto Billet end cap w/spark arrester.

• MotoGoalie

Posted November 25, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Brian, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I'm looking for.:-)
BTW, we travel to Col. every other year for dirt (or street) biking. I've found that Ouray is a great place to stage out of, since it's got such breath-taking scenery (my wife likes it for jeeping/scenery/shopping) and I go riding.

I've found that in high altitude (between 9k - 13k feet) my bike backfires quite a lot on the downhills . . . hope my slightly larger pilot jet, along with the spark arrestor, helps that a bit.

Ron

A few of us live a half hour away from Ouray. Look at our jetting specs to cure your backfiring problem at high altitude. I can tell you my bike in the sticky above is jetted perfectly for this altitude.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=248849

Richer is not the answer :applause:

• rdefonce

Posted November 26, 2005 - 09:20 AM

A few of us live a half hour away from Ouray. Look at our jetting specs to cure your backfiring problem at high altitude. I can tell you my bike in the sticky above is jetted perfectly for this altitude.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=248849

Richer is not the answer :applause:

Pretty cool, living only a half-hour away! . . . you must be in Montrose or nearby?
I reviewed your specs, and I did use the Excel chart the last time I jetted for hi-altitude. My bike was backfiring here (in St. Louis, 500 ft and 75 degrees) almost as bad as hi-altitude. When I went to the one-size-larger pilot (48) the backfiring is mostly gone. (I know that doesn't correlate to high-alt. though, like you said in your post a rich condition can mimic a lean condition.)

One thing's for sure; my 400 won't require the same jets as your 450; curiously the 400 requires generally larger jets than the 450. (Stock jet settings on 450 are smaller than on 400!)

Ron D.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.