XR650R Front sprocket install question

5 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted November 22, 2005 - 07:29 AM

The front sprocket has a splined washer that goes on the outside of the sprocket. The splines on the washer don't line up with the splines on the sprocket, so when everything is tight, the sprocket actually has some free play towards and from the tranny, because the splined washer ends up riding in a groove in the sprocket shaft. Is this normal? I can't see any other way it's supposed to be, but don't remember it being like that last time I had the sprocket off (long time ago). Thanks.

• qadsan

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Yes, that's normal. The misalignment of the washer to sprocket keeps the sprocket from coming off the shaft. There's should be no freeplay in the drive directions of the sprocket, but there will be freeplay in the direction to and from the gearbox.

• honkylips

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:34 AM

Yes, that's normal. The misalignment of the washer to sprocket keeps the sprocket from coming off the shaft. There's should be no freeplay in the drive directions of the sprocket, but there will be freeplay in the direction to and from the gearbox.

OK, just figured I'd make cause I didn't remember it being like that before. Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRP27

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:45 AM

I found my splined washer lined up with the sprocket last weekend. The sprocket was, of course, trying to come off the shaft. The sprocket cover was keeping the sprocket on the shaft but it was making a lot of noise doing it.
I took the splined washer off rotated it to the second set of holes and bolted it back up. now it has the misalignment needed to make it work.

The weird part is I know how this assembly works and was sure I had assembled it so it had the missalignment to keep it from coming off. The last time I changed the primary sprocket was over a year ago. If it was misassembled it should have shown up before now! :applause:

I am going to take it back apart and inspect the sprocket and splined washer and see if there is any damage.

Very weird :ride:

• big t

Posted November 24, 2005 - 12:02 AM

I ordered a sprocket from Ironman last year that came with a washer that was drilled wrong. It aligned with the splines. Did not notice it when I put it on. I rode the bike for a couple of months before I finally noticed it. Called Ironman and they sent a washer that was drilled correctly.

• bigboredbiker

Posted November 24, 2005 - 02:11 AM

Had me puzzled for a while as well...until I worked out what honda were thinking...not a bad idea eh??

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.