What type of printer is used to make MX graphics?

9 replies to this topic
  • McShred

Posted November 21, 2005 - 01:24 PM

I wondering if anyone knew exactly how they are made? I believe I could make them at work with 3m material and laminates but I was wondering if anyone knew how they were printed. I have a bunch of different industrial printers to try.

• brandon2550

Posted November 21, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Sometimes they are cut from a colored, laminated, adhesive backed material on a Gerber Edge type of machine. This is how sign shops make their signs and lettering. The other opion is to Ink Jet the graphics on a permenant adhesive 3m product and overlaminate it. This will protect the image and add longer life

• McShred

Posted November 21, 2005 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, I know about the low end Gerber systems vinyl cut stuff.

We have be roll printers and I could produce these 1/4 of the price if not less.

If my system works I figure it would cost 25-30 bucks for a whole bike set of custom graphics.

• friday

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:00 PM

thats sick wanna make me a set too? :applause:

• McShred

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:30 PM

I want to make everyone a set. I think they are priced way too high.

Think about every sticker company has multi page ads in all the mx magazines. Those ads go 10,000-30,000 a pop ( they most likely have year long discounts ).

So if anyone know exactly they are printed I could get the ball rolling.

I can Design, Print, Laminate, Die cut and whatever else is needed.

• YZ250F_2003

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:02 PM

Hi McShred, You need to find someone who will let you use a colour laser printer as this will fuse the graphic onto the vinyl as where an inkjet will often give a poor rough image. I work in the printing/refilling industry and have played around with this myself.

• Saber

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:41 PM

hmm plz PM me if you get this working and good luck

• friday

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:56 PM

ya good luck sorry i dont know anything about that stuff but that would be awesome if you got it done

• Blue Rider 236

Posted November 21, 2005 - 08:36 PM

Not too sure but I think in either Transworld or Motocross Action there was an article on graphics. I think they are printed on the back side and then they put the glue on. Each color is put on one at a time.

• Fulch13

Posted November 21, 2005 - 09:52 PM

Exactly. They're printed ont he back side othe vinyl, then glue, then cut, then applied to the backing paper. I dunno how thick a laminate you could put over top of what you print, but it'd have to be pretty heavy to survive a good throw-down. The hardest part will be gettig the cut lines dead-on. You'd almost have to buy a graphics kit for a particular bike, then traces the cut line and scan and convert it into your system. It'd be a lot of work. But if you come up with it, I'm certainly game to get a set from you.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 450 XC-W 2014 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 450 XC-W 2014
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF250R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF250R 2015
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Justwant2ride
  • On Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Forums
Photo

One Woman, One CRF250L, One World! by Steph J

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  453 replies
Forums
Photo

Battery charging by motox745

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

Cr125 weird rolling noises and will not start! by Chowda5

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.