Shock Bottom Out Bumper Install 99 400F

3 replies to this topic
  • Coonass400

Posted November 21, 2005 - 12:57 PM

I have a 99 YZ400F with a blown out bottoming bumper on the rear shock. I have the shock off the bike with the spring removed but do not know where to go from here. Do I have to send this to a suspension shop or can it be installed without tearing into the hydraulics? I have searched through the forum and my Clymer manual and can't find anything about it. This job doesn't look easy now as I thought it would be. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

• SXP

Posted November 21, 2005 - 01:53 PM

You will have to remove the shaft from the body, grind down the peening holding the nut on the top of the shaft, remove the nut, valve and shim stack, seal head assembly, and finally the bottom-out bumper. Install in reverse order and use Locktite on the nut. You will then have to follow the proper procedure to refill and recharge the shock with Nitrogen. It's kinda complicated but doable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coonass400

Posted November 21, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the help SXP. Since it is a 99 model, I might as well just have the shock rebuilt and revalved too while I am it. I usually do all of my own work but I think I will leave this one job to the pros with the experience. Thanks once again.

• RCannon

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:53 PM

The job is not that difficult. Read the MX tech instructions first and you will haver no trouble. Think of the money you will save down the line on shock oil replacements.

I found myself in the same situation two years ago. They guys here talked me through the job. I have since completly rebuilt the shock and changed the oil twice. My total out of pocket cost has been under 25 bucks for oil and a few parts.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.