Clutch adjustment on my XL600R

3 replies to this topic
  • XL600Rguy

Posted November 21, 2005 - 12:02 PM

Just wondering how to adjust the clutch pull on my XL. When Im letting out the clutch, it doesnt disengage until right at the end of the travel on the lever. Very annoying. How do you tighten it so that it starts to disengage after letting the clutch lever out maybe an inch or a little less? Thanks again, this forum has been so much help :applause:

XL600Rguy :ride:

• OldThumperLover

Posted November 21, 2005 - 12:34 PM

Mine does that too. You can't adjust it out. I replaced the disks with EBC stuff. Made no difference. Maybe I should have done springs and plates too. Replaced the cable and did not help. There is a pin under the left crankcase cover (alternator side) that gets pushed by a cam. The pin releases the clutch. The cam attaches to the clutch cable just outside the crankcase cover. Maybe there is wear at the pin or cam.

Or it is by design. :applause:

I would like to know myself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XL600Rguy

Posted November 21, 2005 - 06:46 PM

Oh really? geez, well I'll fiddle around with it, I dont remember it being that bad before i took it to the shop. If I can't make it perfect, Id settle for improved.

• OldThumperLover

Posted November 22, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Oh really? geez, well I'll fiddle around with it, I dont remember it being that bad before i took it to the shop. If I can't make it perfect, Id settle for improved.

Good luck. Where the clutch grabs during the movement of the lever has nothing to do with the freeplay adjustment.

Had the alternator side crankcase cover off last night. I am getting a 'clunk' every time I pull the clutch lever. It will go away after the bike sits for awhile. I inspected the pin and cam, and I have concluded the problem is in the clutch pack/basket somewhere. The clutch side crankcase cover is coming off this weekend.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.