Exhaust Help

8 replies to this topic
  • Braz

Posted November 21, 2005 - 11:20 AM

I just bought an 06 WR450F and am just starting on the mods. I ordered the AIS Removal kit from the TT store and will try the grey wire mod tonight when I get home from work. I would like to order a slip on exhaust but don't know squat about them. What is the best one for the money? I don't want to spend a fortune but want a good one. Also, what is the best place to get parts from? What other free mods are there for the WR?

Any help is appreciated

Braz

• bg10459

Posted November 21, 2005 - 12:09 PM

For the money, I personally don't think there is anything better than a stock YZ pipe. Lots of people will argue everything from sound output to power output to the lack of spark arrestor, but how you compare dollars to any one of those, I don't know.

• dbailey223

Posted November 21, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Free mods http://www.thumperfa...ree_mods.htm#WR

• old man dan

Posted November 21, 2005 - 01:46 PM

Just search this site on "Wr 450 free mods" you'll find everything you need. Once you do the free mods and rejet (I suggest JD kit + pilot jet for your altitude and temp) you'll be amazed. You may not even need an aftermarket exhaust. I took the spark arrester and outlet tip right out of mine to test it and its a little too loud but the power is great so I ordered a Promoto Billet tip. I put the spark arrester back in and I'm happy. You'll also want an extended fuel screw to make adjustments easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted November 22, 2005 - 03:24 AM

Just search this site on "Wr 450 free mods" you'll find everything you need. Once you do the free mods and rejet (I suggest JD kit + pilot jet for your altitude and temp) you'll be amazed. You may not even need an aftermarket exhaust. I took the spark arrester and outlet tip right out of mine to test it and its a little too loud but the power is great so I ordered a Promoto Billet tip. I put the spark arrester back in and I'm happy. You'll also want an extended fuel screw to make adjustments easier.

trust me and get an aftermarket exhaust or slip on muffler. You will think why did I even bother with the standard muffler that is so choked up.

I think the GYT-R slip on mufflers are the go, I put the new GYT-R propower slip on muffler on my girl's WR250. Oh my god! what a difference it made! They are made to produce more power than the YZ mufflers so you know they work.

• Joe Reitman

Posted November 22, 2005 - 11:25 AM

I second the stock YZ, I run it on mine, cheap, works well.

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted November 22, 2005 - 11:53 AM

fmf powercore 4, w/ or w/ out the quiet insert, it walks all over the stock yz exhausts.

• Braz

Posted November 24, 2005 - 06:50 AM

Ok, I disconnected the grey wire and went riding on Tuesday. Man, that made a big difference. I could definitely tell a difference in the low end power and mid range power. The bike didn't feel like it was bogging down anymore. I am looking at a White Brothers E2 exhaust but it is listed for a YZ450F will that fit the WR450? I see in this thread that some say use the YZ stock muffler so I am assuming it will.

• old man dan

Posted November 24, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Have you removed the snorkel from the airbox yet? The bike needs rejetting right from the factory and it's just worse after you start uncorking it. Do yourself a favour and order a JD jetting kit, an extended fuel screw, the ais removal kit and the Propmoto Billet exhaust tip. It's a new machine with these mods. If you still feel like you need more power after that then consider an aftermarket exhaust but think about where and how you ride and how loud you want your machine to be.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.