Backfiring on start-up

4 replies to this topic
  • yamageezer

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:20 AM

So here is the latest problem, when I go to start my 05" WR450 she backfires and is kinda hard to start. Once she starts, runs great, no stumbling, not popping on deceleration, and she screams. I have about 350 miles total on the bike, done all of the free mods, JD kit, Zip-Ty, AIS removed, open air box, & open pipe. Thoughts anyone . ( valve adj?) :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 21, 2005 - 01:24 PM

72 starter jet, 48 pilot jet and an adjustable fuel screw! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamageezer

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Indy, I have the 48 pilot, 168 main, and the fuel screw out 1.5-1.75, and JD blue #3. This started happening after I put a YZ pipe on. Could I be running lean? 4000', 50-70 deg. I've seen your recommendations and are following them but with the new pipe it's got me thinking that I'm too lean. Although I do have a 1/4 throttle stumble now which I believe means that I'M running fat :applause: Hell I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 21, 2005 - 04:54 PM

Put in the 72 starter jet it will make cold starting much easier.
Put in the JD red needle on clip #5 from the top. It will run better at 1/4 throttle if the blue needle is too rich. :applause:

• yamageezer

Posted November 21, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Thanx............ :applause: :ride: :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.