Any tricks to get a flywheel off w/no puller?

14 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Well I'm runnin out of time and I have to get my flywheel off :p I don't have time to order a puller because I have to get my bike put back together by Tues. My Cam chain is supposed to be in Tues mng and I need to have it all put back together when I get home from work. :ride: I don't really want to take it to a shop because the motor is all torn apart.

I tried to make a puller out of some scrap steel I had but it was puttin too much stress on the crank. The flywheel wasnt even budgin and I was worried about the end of the crank gettin torn up. Any other tricks before I have to wrap up my motor and throw the bike in my truck :applause:

• YZFSOCAL

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:28 PM

my advise is to order one next day air. with a puller it takes 15 seconds to get the flywheel off and you won't damage anything..remember that the flywheel is magnetized and will be almost impossible to get off without the puller!! sorry! :applause:

• yzf450jack

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:59 PM

Pullers are about $10.00 almost all japanese dirt bike pullers are the same :applause:

• dunecj2a

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Yeah same story for me every year before X-giving dune trip. Wait to the week before and rely on bike shops to have parts in stock. :applause: I'm an idiot :ride: and should know by now.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Seriously, the puller for your YZF is the same as over 90% of all Japanese bikes made since at least 1980. If the Yamaha shop doesn't have one, go to the Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki dealer. If that doesn't work, 9 of 10 parts shops should have one. And they're cheap!

• dunecj2a

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:53 PM

Seriously, the puller for your YZF is the same as over 90% of all Japanese bikes made since at least 1980. If the Yamaha shop doesn't have one, go to the Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki dealer. If that doesn't work, 9 of 10 parts shops should have one. And they're cheap!

Yeah Gray you would think so. The :applause: bike shops here hardly stock anything. The 2 Yami dealers dont carry them and I was gonna drive to Phoenix this w/end but after 3 calls I got fed up :ride: 90% of the dealers are closed Mondays in town. I will try a small Honda shop that is open tomorrow but I'm not holdin my breath :p
What parts store do you think would carry one, all I have is the big chains to work with.......Autozone, checker, pep boys......etc.

• Hick

Posted November 21, 2005 - 12:28 AM

I once was able to pull a 426 flywheel w/ the help of your std. Pep Boys 3-claw puller and a sharp whack w/ a ball-peen hammer.

But it was about 75% luck. The jaws of the puller could not get good purchase on the edge of the flywheel/mag, but the planets were aligned correctly that day and on about the 4th try it popped off...

..worth a try if you're desperate.

Fit the puller's 3 tongs on the mag, tighten the center bolt until you think it is going to slip (if it surprises you try again), and then whack the center bolt on the puller w/ your hammer.

Hope this helps.

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 21, 2005 - 02:09 AM

Wrap a chain around it and tie it to your back bumper...

If that doesn't work, try a crowbar or a cutting torch.

Oh wait, I didn't know you meant without hurting the bike... The answer is no then. Go find a puller. :applause:

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:39 AM

Dubach Racing, $12, call them on the phone and order it next day air:

http://www.dubachrac...spx?lCatID=3#43

• 02YZ426

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:56 AM

Its kinda funny... the other day I had to pull the flywheel off my 1971 Honda SL70, so I grabbed the puller for my YZF and I couldn't believe it, it actually fit.

• new2blu

Posted November 21, 2005 - 04:26 AM

In the past I have used a harmonic balancer puller from the local auto parts store. You must remove 3 of the allen head screws and get longer bolts to get the heads even with the puller---make sure that you locktite the original allen bolts upon re-assembly. I did this whem i first bought my 03 Wr450 and haven't had any problems since.

• TD-3

Posted November 21, 2005 - 04:34 AM

Do you have any "mom & pop" or backyard mechanics in your area? They must have one, as stated, the puller fits 90% of the bikes out there. How about any riding buddies, local racers, friends of friends? I'm just throwing out ideas. I really would try and avoid using the wrong tool for this job, you may end up with more problems. JMO

• lumpy790

Posted November 21, 2005 - 05:39 AM

Throw your bike in the back of your truck and take it to the shop but make sure you talk to the mechanic not the maggot service writers at the counter. He/she should pop it off in the parking lot for $5......... or a 6 pack sometimes works wonders around closing time!

While you are there order a Motion Pro puller. Hell.....I think I have 3 in my tool box. At least when I'm not looking for it!

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2005 - 08:11 AM

Throw your bike in the back of your truck and take it to the shop but make sure you talk to the mechanic not the maggot service writers at the counter. He/she should pop it off in the parking lot for $5......... or a 6 pack sometimes works wonders around closing time!

While you are there order a Motion Pro puller.

If you can't buy one now, this is your best bet.

A balancer puller won't work on a YZ flywheel because it has no bolt holes. Jaw types are dangerous. The flywheel was not intended to be pulled by its edges, and doing it this way can distort or break it.

• YFZ Pilot

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:34 PM

I live in Casa Grande and have a puller you can borrow if you still need it.
I sent you a pm.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 First impressions by Scott_72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Clutch arm spring help by rustynail

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Cycra Powerflow Plastic Kit YZ250F/YZ450F (2014/15) by Quake

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 14 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine acting up '98 YZ400F by bjm904

• 4 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by mastamax
  • On October 07, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.