Fluidyne VS Stock a couple pictures

22 replies to this topic
  • The_Blue_One

Posted November 20, 2005 - 06:56 PM

I've boiled my wr over in some extremely tight single track. I tried switching over to engine ice coolant and while it helped it would still boil over. I decided that since the 2005 wr's now have the smaller yz radiators, I would try the bigger Fluidyne radiators. I just got them yesterday and took some pictures of the stock/aftermarket together before i mount them. I'll snap a shot or two once they are mounted and report back how much cooler it seems to run.

Here is the left rads side by side
Posted Image

Left Top View the Fluidynes are a 1/2inch deeper :applause:
Posted Image

Right Rads side by side
Posted Image

Right top view
Posted Image

Here is my attempt at a shot viewing through the filler necks.
Stock
Posted Image
Fluidyne
Posted Image

• YZFSOCAL

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:10 PM

i have 'em on my bike and love 'em!! i had to mess around with my works radiator guards to get them to work with the radiators but they work great!!!

• ncmountainman

Posted November 21, 2005 - 09:06 AM

fill'em full of evans npg-r and you'll never have to worry about boiling again. i've got the fluidynes and run the evans,my bike can sit and idle as long as care to. i ran one into a tree,right between the tank and shroud. it broke the shroud,bent my unabiker gaurd and the rad didn't even bend. they are way tougher than stock :applause:

• The_Blue_One

Posted November 21, 2005 - 09:25 AM

fill'em full of evans npg-r and you'll never have to worry about boiling again. i've got the fluidynes and run the evans,my bike can sit and idle as long as care to. i ran one into a tree,right between the tank and shroud. it broke the shroud,bent my unabiker gaurd and the rad didn't even bend. they are way tougher than stock :applause:

i'll give it a try :ride: They look pretty dang stout compared to the stockers. I'll crash test them this weekend. :p :p

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted November 21, 2005 - 09:33 AM

i really like mine.even made a little power by bringing the temp down.

• CheYuen

Posted November 21, 2005 - 10:15 PM

Do you still find that your unabiker guards still fit without any problems?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 22, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Do you still find that your unabiker guards still fit without any problems?

i only could use the front pieces , i think between the bigger tank i run and the thicker rads it just wasn't gonna happen. but the strength of the rad seems to be enough to just run the fronts. i was thinking about making up some sort of brace this winter while doing maint,we'll see :applause:

• The_Blue_One

Posted November 22, 2005 - 07:05 AM

i only could use the front pieces , i think between the bigger tank i run and the thicker rads it just wasn't gonna happen. but the strength of the rad seems to be enough to just run the fronts. i was thinking about making up some sort of brace this winter while doing maint,we'll see :applause:

I just found out the same thing. The rear brace isn't going to work :ride: I 'm going to see if i can bend it and put it on top of the gas tank mount the the works connection mount. Otherwise i'll have to try my hand at a custom brace also.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 22, 2005 - 07:20 AM

I just found out the same thing. The rear brace isn't going to work :ride: I 'm going to see if i can bend it and put it on top of the gas tank mount the the works connection mount. Otherwise i'll have to try my hand at a custom brace also.

i tried that route and almost had it,but it was such a pain to line up the tank bolts i gave up on it :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:50 PM

I mounted up a set about 2 weeks ago and ran hyperlube additive with 50/50 water coolant mix. First run was a 2 hour Grand Prix with MX, single track, grass track and road course. The radiators performed great! I hit the right side hard on a tree, hard enough to crack the shroud but the Devol guards and the radiator are still in great shape. I am still looking for the EVANS coolant because the bike did overheat as I went out to pull arrows after the event, (everything was pretty caked with mud and I was idling most of the time).

The Devol Guards fit fine with no mods, my only complaint on the installation was the stock hoses had to be replaced because of different neck sizes and lengths.

The stock rads on the WR's IMO are junk! Then factor in that they cost $300+ per side for OEM, it's a no brainer to go with the Fluidynes! I ordered mine through TT Store and got one hell of a deal, it was the first time I ordered through TT so I got an additional 10% off :applause: Less than $400.00 for the pair including next day air shipping :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx369

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I had them on a 05 250f. loved them. great construction. but sold bike to get 06. I took them off before selling. They dont fit the 06 so If anybody wants a Very clean pair(3 rides) Im selling them. $300 or best offer

• TeamScream

Posted December 24, 2005 - 01:10 PM

The Devol Guards fit fine with no mods, my only complaint on the installation was the stock hoses had to be replaced because of different neck sizes and lengths.

Heya Don,
I just got my Fluidynes and Devol guards, For the life of me I cannot see how to get the radiators mounted to the frame with the Devol guards?
The is no way to get a socket extension in there to tighten the radiators to the frame with the guards in place or even get the bolts started.
Can you tell me how the heck you managed to make it all work?
I was about to send the Devol guards to the anodizer but I tried to test fit them first and am completely confused.
Also, the hose fitting that connects the 2 radiators together (through the hole in the frame) is way smaller than stock on my set of Fluidynes, is this normal? Why did they choke that fitting down so much? It seems like since that is the path the coolant takes from one radiator to the other that they would want as much flow as possible?
I hope that is part of the design because I got the radiators anodized (blue) before I checked that stuff so if it is a mistake of some sort I may be hosed literally.
Please advise.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 24, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like you really have the BLING thing goin' on there. :applause:

If your not already using a 1/4" drive ratchet/extension/socket set up, you'll have to start there. A "universal" or "wobbly" helps, (knuckled socket attachment). The 1/4" extension will fit through the openings on the side of the guards, you might have to reach in from the top or bottom with socket and attach it to the extension after it has already passed through the guards. It helps to mount the front guard separate from the rear bracket and then attach the two half's with the two machine screws on the side.

Clear as mud? :bonk:

Yes, I had to go get some different (smaller dia.) hose for that "thru frame" hose but I see no performance issues.

Good luck :cry:

• 1BLUEsky

Posted December 24, 2005 - 08:40 PM

I just read this post and while I dont have much trouble with overheating , I also had a very small tree go between my tank and shroud that resulted in a small leak.After disassembly and some creative methods of applying force I straightened it.I put Works braces on but I always wondered if the price for Fluidyns were for each radiator or what ?! the damn ads never say! Thanks TTers

• TeamScream

Posted December 24, 2005 - 10:32 PM

I got mine for $350.00 for the pair, plus delivery.
They are pretty neat looking but they are thicker by about 1/2"
I am doing the plastics/subframe swap that satch did on his a while back.
Mine is an 01' WR with 05' YZ tank, shrouds, seat and WR (rear) fender.
I have the JE 446 piston (big bore) kit and I am powder coating the head, cylinder, and both side cases.
This is a street legal supermoto and I am having custom ZLT graphics made up so that it looks like the twin sister to my race CRF.
When it is done it will look a little like this bike.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 1BLUEsky

Posted December 25, 2005 - 09:58 PM

Team Scream YEAH BABY........... When you finsh post some photos that"ll be one bitchn bike!!

• WR400Fun

Posted December 26, 2005 - 06:42 AM

My stock ones boiled all the time, made the switch to the Fluidynes (with Unibikers to protect them) for a YZ450, rarely happens now and not nearly as bad when it does.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 26, 2005 - 08:53 AM

My stock ones boiled all the time, made the switch to the Fluidynes (with Unibikers to protect them) for a YZ450, rarely happens now and not nearly as bad when it does.

fill them with evans npg-r and it will never happen again :applause:

• crashing_sux

Posted November 10, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Reviving an old thread here, did anyone ever find a better way to protect these radiators than the devol or works connection guards? Are there any braces that fit? I've allready bent one radiator from a crash, luckily I was able to bend it back but I would love to have some braces on there if I can find them.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Reviving an old thread here, did anyone ever find a better way to protect these radiators than the devol or works connection guards? Are there any braces that fit? I've allready bent one radiator from a crash, luckily I was able to bend it back but I would love to have some braces on there if I can find them.

unabikers fit well with the fluidynes and offer the best protection i've seen.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.