fok oil seals

8 replies to this topic
  • SBRacing

Posted November 20, 2005 - 04:38 PM

I'm about to replace my leaky oil seals any tips or things to look out for I should know about..Its been awhile but I have done them in the past on my old 96 Rm 250 but I want to make sure I do it right on my 04 450
Thanx Craig

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Here's a step-by-step with pictures:

http://www.thumperfa.../fork_seals.htm

Look for scratches and nicks that you can feel with a fingernail. Some pretty small stuff can cause a new seal to leak. Sand them out with 240 grit (or so) wet/dry in a cross hatch pattern. don't worry about the finish on the tubes. the normal fork operation will restore that in a while.

• SBRacing

Posted November 20, 2005 - 05:48 PM

thanx man

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 20, 2005 - 06:47 PM

http://motocross.com...ork/kybfrk.html

That link is helpful on the single chamber units. Be sure you have the fork seal drivers for the 48mm forks. THey run about 40-60 just for the tool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SBRacing

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Man I don't think I'm up to do this ..What whould it cost to have them done?

• freekstyle

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Man I don't think I'm up to do this ..What whould it cost to have them done?

You will pay a lot to have it done, or you can take your time and do it yourself for much less. I just replaced my seals on my 03. I used the guide posted by gray and my bike manual for the specs. It really is'nt as hard as it seems.

The only things from the post I would like to add would be:

1. For my 03, and I think the 04 is the same, you will need a 14mm hex tool to remove the base valve. I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts tightend together for this and it worked fine. I looked for a "real" tool for this but could not find one.

2. I could not get the gas line castle nut tool to work out for me. I used a piece of PVC pipe and cut the end with a utility knife. It worked great.

Hope this helps.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:17 PM

You do not have to remove the dampers or the base valve to do a simple seal replacement. Just remove the springs and knock out the seals. It does make a better job to remove the valve, because it lets you clean it up more thoroughly, but it is not required at all. Most shops that will charge you $125 to $200 are not going to remove the base valves for that kind of money, anyway.

• lumpy790

Posted November 21, 2005 - 05:17 AM

You will pay a lot to have it done, or you can take your time and do it yourself for much less. I just replaced my seals on my 03. I used the guide posted by gray and my bike manual for the specs. It really is'nt as hard as it seems.

The only things from the post I would like to add would be:

1. For my 03, and I think the 04 is the same, you will need a 14mm hex tool to remove the base valve. I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts tightend together for this and it worked fine. I looked for a "real" tool for this but could not find one.

2. I could not get the gas line castle nut tool to work out for me. I used a piece of PVC pipe and cut the end with a utility knife. It worked great.

Hope this helps.

Sears, Snap-on, Mac ect sells the 14mm 1/2 drive allen socket

• rf2

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:34 PM

Which seals have to be changed, would just lower seals do it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.