draining the fuel in carb for storage

16 replies to this topic
  • BUBONICON

Posted November 20, 2005 - 12:07 PM

Hey everyone,

Just wondering why I couldn't burn the fuel out of my lines and carb yesterday why I tried to run it dry for storage. The fuel selector settings are different for Cdn bikes and I have an off/on/primary. I set it to primary and let it try to run dry for 15 min but no dice.
Not sure what needs to be done... I remember the first time i pulled the tank off i figured the fuel selector would have to be on off or primary and when i diconnected the fuel line it just streamed out and it had to be on on to stop the flow? Thought that was a bit backwards....

What am i doing worng? Do i have to disconnect the second line into the tank?

• DRZ400SK4

Posted November 20, 2005 - 12:34 PM

There is a carb drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl. Unscrew it, and the fuel in the carb will flow out through the attached drain tube. Leave the petcock set to the 'on' position on your Canadian model DRZ. No fuel will flow unless the bike is running, in this position.

You also need to put fuel stabilizer in your fuel tank, and fill it to the top for winter storage. This prevents rust from forming inside the tank, and the fuel stabilizer prevents the fuel from turning bad.

:applause:

• mickeydee

Posted November 20, 2005 - 12:42 PM

fill the tank with fuel and stablizer,drain the carb,little drain bolt on the bottom.our can bikes have the vac line on it but even if you ran the bike till it stalled it would still have gas in it.

btw-got the fcr in and holy crap its a totaly different bike now(i can spin the tire on demand on dry pavement) :applause:

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted November 20, 2005 - 12:53 PM

even if it quits running there is still fuel in bowl.

• BUBONICON

Posted November 20, 2005 - 02:46 PM

good stuff thanks guys. Mickeydee how easy was the conversion with the intake boots etc? whats it basically plug and play?

• mickeydee

Posted November 20, 2005 - 02:52 PM

good stuff thanks guys. Mickeydee how easy was the conversion with the intake boots etc? whats it basically plug and play?

ya,thats was about it just put it in and play had a few problems but it was to be expected i posted some pics :applause:

• drzrobbcanuck

Posted November 20, 2005 - 03:31 PM

canadian bikes (Look closely) say res, on, pri. These stand for reserve, on, prime. Prime allows fuel to flow at all times and is used to fill the float bowl after running out of gas or in the spring after leaving it for the winter with an empty carb. Fuel will not flow in res or on positions unless the engine is running or there is something wrong with the petcock valve.

• Duken4evr

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to the tank and ride it for a bit so it gets into the carb as well. This is also a fine time to change the oil so it does not sit all winter with dirty oil in the engine.

Been doing this simple routine for years on my bikes and lawn mowers and never had a problem. Sta-Bil rocks :applause:

• DRZ400SK4

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Also...

Sta-Bil is just a 'brand' of fuel stabilizer. Just look for any brand of fuel stabilizer, at any automotive store. They are all the same... STP, Canadian Tire, Sta-Bil...It's all good.

Here's the full list of what you need to do before storing your bike for the long Canadian winter...

-Oil and filter change.
-Fill tank and add fuel stabilizer
-Drain carb
-Clean and lube chain
-Fog engine with fogging oil
-Spray exterior with WD40
-Raise bike so tires are off the floor
-Clean and re-oil air filter
-Remove battery and trickle charge once per month
-Lube clutch and throttle cable

• SheBeast

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:35 PM

Is fogging the engine really necessary? I do all the long term storage stuff but this one...am I making a big mistake? :applause:

• mickeydee

Posted November 20, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Is fogging the engine really necessary? I do all the long term storage stuff but this one...am I making a big mistake? :applause:

if you are close to the ocean fogging is a good idea.when at or near the ocean its more humid and that humid air gets into the motor and can start corroding things.

• mickeydee

Posted November 20, 2005 - 10:20 PM

Also...

Sta-Bil is just a 'brand' of fuel stabilizer. Just look for any brand of fuel stabilizer, at any automotive store. They are all the same... STP, Canadian Tire, Sta-Bil...It's all good.

Here's the full list of what you need to do before storing your bike for the long Canadian winter...

-Oil and filter change.
-Fill tank and add fuel stabilizer
-Drain carb
-Clean and lube chain
-Spray exterior with WD40
-Raise bike so tires are off the floor
-Clean and re-oil air filter
-Remove battery and trickle charge once per month
-Lube clutch and throttle cable

forgot bleed the air out of forks so they don't start leaking over winter :ride:

• DRZ400SK4

Posted November 21, 2005 - 03:56 AM

There's always something else, isn't there.

• BUBONICON

Posted November 21, 2005 - 06:50 AM

how do you bleed the forks?

• whorider

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Hitchhicker!

What is fogging the motor?

Just curious. :applause:

• DRZ400SK4

Posted November 21, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Fogging oil is most commonly used when storing outboard boat motors. It's a foaming kind of spray oil that you either spray through the intake or through the plug hole, or both.

Just ask for fogging oil at any marine supply store, and they will have it. I use the OMC brand.

I find it's also excellent for lubing cables. It doesn't evaporate, like WD40.

• whorider

Posted November 21, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Thanks my inquiring mind had to know. :applause:

Related Content

Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Drz 400 SM tires by Danny V.

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

• Hot  74 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

• Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.