dual exhuast

10 replies to this topic
  • wildo

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:43 AM

I saw a crf450r w/ twin pipes in DB magazene. fmf already has a dual ex full race ti. system out for it that is quieter than the stock system.
Fmf has already tested the same system on the rmz 450. I don't think it would be a giant leap for fmf to make the same system for yam. They could posibly get nois down to around 85 dba w/ all that chamber space. The main reasons honda claims they came up w/ twin ex. was to centralize weight. The question is would you pay $1000+ for a dual ti system that is as light or lighter that stock. gives you better handeling and less nois than a stock 4 st mx bike. I mite if I had a brand new bike. Oh yay did I mention a gain of 2 hp at 3000- 5000 rpm and a 4.5 peak hp gain.

• crf450x4me

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:56 AM

are you sure that was not a 250 ?

• wildo

Posted November 20, 2005 - 05:40 PM

Yes I saw the 250r a few weeks ago they hade an fmf twin system sitting on a 450r.

• patrickincc

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like allot of money for so little gain.

• crf450x4me

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:04 PM

sweet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted November 22, 2005 - 03:42 AM

Sounds like allot of money for so little gain.

4.5 peak gain, that's nearly a 10% power increase.

It is a very good idea for all quiet loving people, untill all riding area's still get closed down and people are left to wonder why now?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted November 22, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Quiet is Good!! More HP is great!

$1000 is a crock of $hit!!! It does not cost that much to design, dyno, and engineer a pipe!!!

• crashing_sux

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:32 PM

4.5 peak gain, that's nearly a 10% power increase.

It is a very good idea for all quiet loving people, untill all riding area's still get closed down and people are left to wonder why now?

The important part is what the gain is vs an aftermarket single pipe system, I think you'll find it less impressive at that point.

It's not actually quieter depending on how you ride, from what I've read it's quieter at lower rpm but louder than a single pipe system at higher rpm. Now you probably spend more time in the lower rpm range on a WR but when you're really making a lot of noise and annoying people may be when you're at WOT and spinning some rpm, in which case it may make the noise problem worse.

But they do look awfully nice :applause:

• Matty05

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:05 PM

No, they are quieter at high rpm. It was louder when fmf just used two 2stroke mufflers but they stumbled on something amazing - power, and lots of it.

Honda didn't put twins on the crf250 to be louder at higher rpm.
FMF has done countless hours testing and is relentless in their persuit of power and quietness. Two mufflers are quieter than one, right!

Read the article if you can, it is a good article.

• crashing_sux

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Which article? I've read two so far in two different dirt bike mags and both said the same thing, the twin pipes tested quieter at the rpm used by the AMA for testing but were louder WOT.

Did you find an article that says otherwise?

• Matty05

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:22 PM

dirtbike magazine as wildo first wrote.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.