Front Fork Seals

10 replies to this topic
  • Pistol_Pete

Posted August 28, 2001 - 02:45 AM

Had a good spill over the weekend that laid me up for a few days with tweaked ribs etc. I noticed afterwards that I blew out a fork seal. Anyone changed these on the WR's before, if so is it a pain to do or should I just send them out.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 28, 2001 - 03:36 AM

Pete, Good question. I have a great Yamaha dealer in my area and I ride with the guys that work there so they really take care of me, in my case I would rather have a Certified Yamaha mechanic do my forks. If you're not as lucky as me there's nothing wrong with learning to do it yourself and knowing how to work on your bike. Since I've switched to the 4-stroke (and getting older) I would rather have someone else work on my bike.

• mikeolichney

Posted August 28, 2001 - 04:19 AM

Its a piece of cake to do. Just follow the manual. But you need a seal driver, dont try and do it without one. Also, check the tubes for nicks, especially if you crashed. A nick in the tubes will ruin your new seal pronto. You can file small nicks out with a knife sharpening stone. You dont want to be able to have your fingernail catch on them, but don't go wild with the stone.

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 28, 2001 - 05:13 AM

Nick Puza (npuza) told me a section of PVC, sliced vertically in half, will suffice for a seal driver!

It never even occurred to me to try it.

I second doing the work yourself. It really is quite easy!

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• mikeolichney

Posted August 28, 2001 - 11:05 AM

I tried the PVC trick, but it slipped down into the space between the seal and the tube and messed up the seal. So be careful with that one. I bought a driver after that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted August 28, 2001 - 05:50 PM

changing seals is piece of cake.i recommend using kawasaki oem seals 1999 kx500 are same dimension as wr and yz400,426's.kawasaki seals are little more exspensive but made of different rubber yamaha seals would only last 6 months at the most.its been almost 2 years since i put in kx seals

• mxchamps

Posted August 28, 2001 - 06:24 PM

the kawasaki seals should be the same, infact they should come off the same manufacturing line. I usually would suggest to only use OEM fork seals (yamaha or kawasaki) but on the kayaka 46mm fork seals K&l sells are the exact same. Same brand, same #, same seal, but a lot cheaper. sells the set for 16 bucks. Get a real seal driver they are worth their weight in gold after having to use it a few times. And you can always rent it out to your buddies.

Posted August 29, 2001 - 01:52 AM

Thats Wierd.....I am the current east coast King of the Crash....I have crashed in every concievable position and manner...and the one thing 'ol blue has never done is blow a fork seal....There...I've said it...My 99 has never blown a fork seal...You know exactly what's going to happen now don't you?

Where can I get a good fork seal driver? I think I may need one soon......

Bonzai... :)

Posted August 29, 2001 - 02:25 AM

mine go bad once and a while
it might be a piece of dirt or something else stuck inside your seal
try using a piece of 35mm film/negitive
slide it up between fork and seal

take it for a ride and see before buying new seals
somtimes this works for me

if it has been more than a year maybe you should take them apart anyways for a good cleaning

Posted August 29, 2001 - 02:31 AM

the pvc thing works but you must bevel the inside of both pieces so you don't screw up the seal

I just hose clamp the two sides together
and use the weight of the fork tube to slam the seal home.

I have also seen them in dennis kirk

• Pistol_Pete

Posted August 29, 2001 - 06:03 AM

Well, I know that the seals have been questionable for a while but after taking a closer look it could very well be dirt and grime, but I'm sure they're not long for this world. Where can I get a seal driver??

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.