Front Caliper on 1993 XR600

3 replies to this topic
  • DSTerry

Posted November 20, 2005 - 01:56 AM

I just installed a 1993 caliper, front wheel, rotor, and forks on my 1989 XR600. I pulled the caliper apart before I installed it, cleaned everything and installed some new brake pads.

I bleed the line very well. I use a one man brake bleeder which is a small bottle with a one way valve and a short piece of hose that goes onto the nipple. I can then crack open the nipple, and keep pumping the brake lever. I have used it many times on cars and other bikes and it works really well.

Anyway, I can not seem to get a solid brake feel with this setup. I can easily squeeze the lever until it bottoms out. And even with the lever bottomed out, I can still roll the bike if I push really hard. It also seems as if the caliper is not releasing very well. The front rotor rubs qutie a bit making the front tire difficult to spin freely.

I did the same on the rear. I added a rear disc setup, bleed the brakes the same, and it works perfect.

The front caliper also makes a funny creaking sound when I sqeeze the lever all the way down, and release it. It only makes the creaking sound when I have the lever bottomed out.

I am planning on pulling the caliper apart one more time. Any suggestions on what to look for? I may also put on the original (1989) front caliper to compare.

• bork

Posted November 20, 2005 - 04:02 AM

I had the hardest time doing my front too , but after I did get it right it was more solid than before. The air seems to keep rising up into the loop in the line up by bars . I had to get my small hand vacumm pump and suck the heck out of it while leaning the bike alittle. And it it still was troublesome !( if my memory serve me right ) Next time I do it , I think unbolting caliper & putting something inbetween pucks , close to thickness of rotor, and hold up caliper & line about level with resavoir should help . Because the rear wasn't so bad & the line & caliper are close to same heighth. Good Luck !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DSTerry

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I kept the original (1989) resevior which has an air bleed nipple on it. So the first thing I do is bleed the resevior, then I can bleed the line and caliper. If I don't bleed the resevior first, it is next to impossible to get the air out of hte line.

I really don't think their is any air in the line. I can pump the lever as fast as I can, and drain the resevior within 15 seconds (before I start sucking air). So I know I am pushing any air bubbles out before they have a chance to come back up the line.

But if nothing else works, I may have to try a vacuume pump or something.

• DSTerry

Posted November 21, 2005 - 08:18 PM

I figured out my problem. It had nothing to do with air in the lines, or anything like that.

I was using my '89 front brake resevior with my '93 front caliper. The '89 front resevior has about 2/3rds the throw of my '93 resevior. I guess the bigger caliper on the '93 requires more throw. I put the '93 resevior on the bike, and the brake works perfect now.

The only reason I used the '89 resevior is becasue it had less scratches on it. But I thought they were identical.

Anyway, problem solved.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.