Pay the Tax or to Hell with Ca!!!

9 replies to this topic
  • lbxr

Posted November 19, 2005 - 09:12 PM

I was out in Colorado a few weeks ago and my Ca plated 200 yzf/wr426 decided not to run very well so...I traded it for a 06 wr 450. The Great State of Colorado does not issue titles to off road bikes so I got a statement of origin. I paid no sales tax on the new bike. They had no interest at all in the title of the 426. So I still have my title, plate, and green sticker off the 426. Any good reasons not to just slap these on my 06? Any good reasons to pay 8% Sales tax to the state of Ca? I may not be able to get a plate here for the 06 even I do pay the $500+ sales tax... I already have 3 cars, 2 boats, 1 trailer and another streetbike that I keep plated in this sinking ship of a state... :ride: So I am paying out the nose for stuff registered here. By the way it has been at least 3 years since I rode a dirtbike in Ca. The riding areas here are too crowded and a long way to drive to. I got spoiled living in New Mexico. Perhaps I am just ranting...??? :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 20, 2005 - 04:39 AM

I feel your pain! Dont pay the state tax! Look what Kaliforniastan did to Arnold on the last referendum. He got slammed on all 4 attempts to cut costs and the state is way over its head in debt! :ride: Time to move out of that state! :applause:

• rich1167

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Colorado will issue titles to off road bikes. I have a 05 wr450 and a kx100 both titled. I picked them up private party so I don't know what went on at dealerships. I think their is a way to request a title from CO but you then have to pay the sales tax here. I think dealerships sometimes don't issue a title to be more competitive with other dealerships on price. But if you go to trade in the bike and the place you trade it in to wants a title you could get stuck with paying the taxes. It all depends on the dealership. Just sell it private party when you want to get rid of it.

• EM_rider

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:42 AM

Any good reasons not to just slap these on my 06? Any good reasons to pay 8% Sales tax to the state of Ca?

No good reason, unless you want to avoid a world of hurt and legal hassle/expense should a LEO run your plates and check your VIN. This happens all the time at many CA riding areas. I too think that CA is a POS state, but a "CA sucks" defense won't save you a$$ if you're caught breaking the law.

• rich1167

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:06 AM

No good reason, unless you want to avoid a world of hurt and legal hassle/expense should a LEO run your plates and check your VIN. This happens all the time at many CA riding areas. I too think that CA is a POS state, but a "CA sucks" defense won't save you a$$ if you're caught breaking the law.

This is also true in CO. If you just switch plates and get pulled over. You would be out all $$ plus some that you would have spent legally plating it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:59 AM

If you are involved in an accident that is your fault and the insurance companies or law enforcement find out you have a bogus title, etc, you are basically :applause: 'd.
IMHO I would try to go as legit as you can.

• vorra65

Posted November 20, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Without hi-jacking this thread-could some of you out of state guy's help me?

I went to this little hole in the wall DMV to do the transfer of ownership, on my 04 WR450. I was hoping, with a snowball's chance in hell-I could scavenge a green sticker out of them. I was somewhat hopeful after reading stories here at TT, about red sticker bike's getting a green sticker. I was hoping to do the sublemenol (spl?) messaging thing. I kept using the term "green sticker" when conversing with the DMV lady. She was really nice, kept talking about how her whole family ride's bike's and they love Yamaha. My hopes were really up, until she hands me the red sticker and ask's me if it's a 2 smoke. I played clueless, and said no it's a 4 stroke and it has a headlight and a taillight. She the count's off the digit's in the sn#. Mine's a #3, which I knew is supposed to get the f'n red. She said she has no idea why they did that, since the 4 strokes run so much cleaner than all of the 02 and prior 2 smokes. Oh well, I walked out-lip dragging the parking lot.

Back to the main point-you out of Kalifornistan guy's.
What is the 8th digit in your sn#?

I love my 04, but it just pisses me off to no end, that the eco-nazi's can dictate when and where I can ride. I'm wondering if I bought an out of state WR frame that doesn't have the #3 or the letter C in the 8th digit-could I get a green stickie for it?

Sorry for the long post, too much java. :applause:

• rich1167

Posted November 20, 2005 - 02:21 PM

The 8th digit on mine is a Y. But mine is a 05 and is green sticker compliant.

• lbxr

Posted November 20, 2005 - 05:41 PM

If I do slap the plate on it I will still carry basic liability insurance on the 06... The only time i ride on the street is on return rides to the truck or from in town Moab to the slickrock trail. Probably about 10 miles a year. I did not know they are checking vins at off road riding areas. But I think it is good idea for finding stolen bikes. Is having a fictious/wrong plate or green sticker an automatic impound in California?
NO DOUBT!!! IT IS TIME TO GET OUT OUT OF CALIFORNIA...As much as I love N. Ca, I will be leaving as soon as I can...

• EM_rider

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Is having a fictious/wrong plate or green sticker an automatic impound in California?

Absolutely. And as a bonus, you go straight to jail too. In CA, and probably in most other states too, it is far far better to just ride on the street without a plate than to mess around with running a false plate or sticker. The ticket for riding on the street without a license plate or street equipment is a very minor slap on the hand compared with the hassle and expense if you get nailed riding with a false plate.
R

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.