First look at the '06

3 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Saw two of 'em about an hour ago for the first time in person, one of each flavor. They're both sold, of course. I noticed a couple of things:

The cylinder head is a completely new casting, and the decomp plug and bolt are not only gone, there's no place for the bore anymore.

The engine still has what appears to be an external oil line that runs from the same location under the oil filter up to the top of the integrated oil storage reservoir. For this to be the feed line, it would have to connect to a tube running down to the bottom of the reservoir. The line on the left side is now integrated into the ignition cover. You can follow it along the case casting from where the return line used to go forward to the front of the engine. What it looks like they did was to reverse the oil pumps so the the feed comes from the reservoir, through the ignition cover, and then to the feed pump and on to the filter, while the return then exits the right side and back to the tank through the external line. It's a guess on my part, but it makes more sense.

If the return line is external, that means that adding more oil capacity for offroad racing, etc., would be a simple matter of mounting a small tank somewhere.

The bike looks great, especially from the pilot's seat. It's slimmer than mine, and even though it's supposed to weigh about the same, it feels light as you shift it side to side. Lower CG, probably. In fact, I walked 18 feet to a CRF and sat on that, and the YZF felt a little lighter than the Honda...maybe.

The U.S. bike does not have the "power bomb" header we saw on the Aussie model.

The fuel screw is still where it was.

Maybe I'll get to ride one someday

• ripntear

Posted November 20, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Will you still be able to get the carb out from the side or will the subframe have to come off? It looks very crowded in the pics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted November 20, 2005 - 06:36 AM

nice write up Gray. I have yet to see one. Probably better that I don't for awhile! :ride:

Maybe this is sign of the future? :applause: (maybe in 07)

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:39 AM

Will you still be able to get the carb out from the side or will the subframe have to come off? It looks very crowded in the pics.

I didn't pay too much attention to that, but without going back and looking again, I'd say that to access the top of the carb, you'd have to pull the tank or pull the carb loose and lower it, neither of which seems like it would be hard to do. Access to the bowl looks like you could just rotate it as before, but I don't know if there's clearance on top for that; just guessing.

As I gaze into the future, I see...a motorcycle...a YZ450...and the rider is...Satch!! :applause:

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.