94 XR650L motor in an 86 XL600R frame

13 replies to this topic
  • CrackiN

Posted November 19, 2005 - 04:32 AM

I am going to attempt to put a 94 XR650L motor on an 86 XL600R frame and I am looking for any and all advice to hopefully stay ahead of any problems that might arise in the attempt....

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 21, 2005 - 09:18 AM

Same frame, as far as I know.

Dave

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 21, 2005 - 04:17 PM

Other than being 50cc bigger and single carbed, the motor is the same...What are you going to do about the air box?

Do you have the carb too?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 21, 2005 - 06:55 PM

the air box and carb mounting will be a problem but im pretty sure the engine is an exact match (the right foot peg is mounted 3 inches out on the 650 for the kick starter on the 600 that isnt there) so im pretty sure its the exact same frame minus some bracketing for the box and carb.

• roadcam

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:12 PM

if you don't anticipate ridng thru deep water, you can simplify things by using a foam sock-type air filter, and eliminate the airbox altogether ... :applause:

• CrackiN

Posted November 22, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys...I am thinking that I will just use the sock type filter like roadcam suggested unless something else looks better or is fisable once I get the engine in and see exactly where the carb will be....I have heard of some using radiator hose to connect to the air box but I'll just have to wait until I get to that point to figure that one out....Thanks again guys I'll post an update when it's done.....

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 22, 2005 - 03:17 PM

I think you'd be better off making the 94 air box fit than trying to plumb it with rad. hose. The reason is the rad hose wont carry enough volume and it wont properly feed the carb air.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrackiN

Posted November 22, 2005 - 08:35 PM

Ok let's think this over.....If the rad hose fits over the carb intake then the rad hose would have to have a larger ID that the ID of the carb therefore shouldn't it be able to handle the flow and volume? I am just not sure yet what the 94 air box looks like, how it mounts and if it has the battery holder attached to it like the 86....

• SDBSKI

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:22 PM

The 650L uses a separate battery box mounted along the left rear. This also contains the brain unit and fuse panel, The air box mounts tight in the frame with I think about three or four bolts. Are you planning on using the e-start or installing a kick starter off of a 600 engine?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:42 PM

Ok let's think this over.....If the rad hose fits over the carb intake then the rad hose would have to have a larger ID that the ID of the carb therefore shouldn't it be able to handle the flow and volume? I am just not sure yet what the 94 air box looks like, how it mounts and if it has the battery holder attached to it like the 86....

The issue is the volume between the inlet from the air cleaner and mouth of the carb.

Raun Wood made an adapter for the CRF450 to put a Conical K&N on it. It was a trick cast aluminum piece that looked great and fit nice. It also cut the hp on top by about 15% because the flow was erratic. Air stretches just like it compresses. On the top end, the lack of volume in the intake boot will cause the thing to go way rich, then lean, then rich again and back and fourth because of the erratic flow. It sounds funky, but it happens.

Look at the shape of an air boot..any air boot...notice the volume in it....

• CrackiN

Posted November 23, 2005 - 07:37 AM

AAAAhah....Never thought about the air boot volume but that all makes sense shawn.....
I am definately planning on using the e-start.....If I never kick a thumper again it will be too soon....
So if the battery box is on the left side then that would pretty much cancel trying to fit the airbox due to the fact that the air box and battery box are all one piece on the XL600...Sounds like I'll have to find a filter that will clamp straight on the carb....
Thanks again for all the heads up
Motor should be here in a couple of weeks....

• SDBSKI

Posted November 25, 2005 - 07:54 AM

I have heard of others getting the 650l wiring harness and all the electrical components that go with it for a conversion. It could get complicated though because of all the safety switches built in. kickstand,clutch,transmission,ignition switch,ect... You would have to get the harness,battery box with the ignition brain and the right handlebar on/off/start switch would be handy. You could rig the ignition just by wiring in a toggle switch. The safety switches can be bypassed by connecting the clutch switch wires together and then grounding them.

• XRsteve

Posted November 25, 2005 - 01:29 PM

Isn't the XL600 quite a bit different than the XR600? If I remember right its a lot shorter. The XR600 has a very similiar frame compared to the 650L, but some custom fabrication will need to be done.

• babbs

Posted November 26, 2005 - 06:39 AM

I think an ultra tuned race engine might be affected by the flow dynamics you speak of, however a detuned bike like the XRL might be affected, but not quite as bad. And probably not bad enough to notice in the seat of your pants.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.