Wanted-Pasenger footpegs for xr650r

11 replies to this topic
  • rickmov

Posted November 18, 2005 - 07:31 PM

OK - I'm Cheap and don't want to spend $130+ bucks on BajaDesigns rear footpegs. Anybody have any ideas or plans utilizing aftermarket replacement footpegs (<$20) and bolting on to frame. It can't be that hard, just a couple brackets!!! I saw the thread on the $10 BMX pegs, but wanted to go with something folding for off-road, easy starts and not having to take on/off depending on riding. Yes- I want it all!!! My girlfriend will greatly appreciate any help in the matter!!!

• Thumpmeister

Posted November 19, 2005 - 08:19 PM

I've been thinking the same thing. The only problem is, is if you look at the XR subframe, each side of the subframe mounts at a differant lower location, and at a differant angle.
Although, I have seen other set-ups out there. In fact, if I remember right, the XR650R comes stock w/ buddy pegs in Italy, but they don't mount on the subframe. Instead they kind of mount on the main pegs. I have a pic on my comp, and if I can post it, I will.

http://i25.photobuck...ratrick6502.jpg

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 19, 2005 - 08:48 PM

my red neck solution: get some pegs for an L, drill and tap the sub frame and presto, you have L parts on your R.

• don87xr600

Posted November 19, 2005 - 08:55 PM

my red neck solution: get some pegs for an L, drill and tap the sub frame and presto, you have L parts on your R.

The L parts cost $216.64 :applause:

• Thumpmeister

Posted November 19, 2005 - 08:59 PM

"Insert intelligent comment here..."
Dude, you really are stupid. If you don't have anything useful to say, then don't say anything at all. Unless you really aren't being serious. Reasons why that won't work:

1.) The subframe mounts at differant levels on the mainframe, therefore the pegs would be at differant heights.
2.) The frame is too small; if you drill ANY holes in it, that will compromise the structural integrity of the frame. Laymans terms; it will bend and break.
3.) The sidecovers are probably in the way too.

• J_T

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:16 AM

On a search of Itialian honda web site they are offering the XR650R in Standard and Electric start (both street legal) (by their pictures on the site I don't think they have passenger pegs) but they are also offering the XR650R in supermotard dress both kick and electric start and those have the passenger pegs seen in the post above.

Similar to the pic linked to above but also with electric start!
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TreyP

Posted November 20, 2005 - 08:32 PM

Don't buy the Baja Designs footpegs they are junk. I have a pair I will sell you cheap if you want.

What is the url for that Italian site? I would be interested in how they did the E-Start on the 650.

• Fingers

Posted November 21, 2005 - 05:57 PM

The street legal export version of the 650R is the DK and is sent to Europe. The Austrailians get a version as well with slight differences. I have one here in Japan. Neither version has rear pegs and the bike and owners manual is stickered with no pax warnings. I went with the Baja Designs pegs and replaced the cotter pins with clips so the folding pegs can be detached in seconds. The unsymetrical structure of the rear sbframe makes it difficult to add pegs without add on support brackets (which is what drives up the price).

• Thumpmeister

Posted November 22, 2005 - 03:45 AM

On a search of Itialian honda web site they are offering the XR650R in Standard and Electric start (both street legal) (by their pictures on the site I don't think they have passenger pegs) but they are also offering the XR650R in supermotard dress both kick and electric start and those have the passenger pegs seen in the post above.

Similar to the pic linked to above but also with electric start!
Posted Image

Damn, I might have to make a trip back to Italy just so I can buy another bike. Thats a sweet set-up. The only question is, is why don't they have it in the US? I'm sure it would sell... Although, it probably wouldn't sell nearly as well over here as it would over there. Cool bike, though...

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted November 22, 2005 - 04:48 AM

I'd buy it

• Matty05

Posted November 22, 2005 - 04:54 AM

http://www.ballards....tails&content=3
$28 Australian. That's cheap.

• qadsan

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:13 AM

If you want the clamp on pegs, you cna buy them off eBay pretty cheap or from places like Four Strokes Only at this link for $24 USD...http://www.fourstrok...egsclampon.html Getting a hold of Four Strokes Only can be a problem and sometimes you'll have to wait a month or so for your order to be filled, but he'll get to it eventually.

Another buddy peg option for the 650R are pegs Jerry Leighton makes for his shop Four Stroke Works. He also makes a nice rear fender support as well, both of which you can find at the bottom of the page at this link...
http://www.fourstrok...ks.com/body.htm

I've got the Baja Designs pegs and they're a love - hate piece. I like the design, the way they mount, their form, fit & functionality, but the machine work on one of the pegs was unacceptable (no detent - huge safety issue!) and I was sent both wrong & missing hardware.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.