New WR450 is a DOG - Help please!

44 replies to this topic
  • n777ff

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:58 PM

I just purchased a new 05 WR450 today. Got it home, took it for a ride and needless to say I am VERY disappointed. This stock bike is a pig. After all of the posts and reviews that I have read, the WR is suppose to flat out rip. My dads DRZ400 will kill this thing. I was seriously considering the Honda 450X and maybe should have gone that route instead. With that said, just how big of difference is there when the throttle stop is removed, the grey wire cut, etc? Do all of the bike testers that review these things for the magazines do the mods so they can compare it to other bikes? Because, if this is it, I've got a dud and I will go get the 450X. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• RichBaker

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:02 PM

It's a huge difference! Do the mods and it'll kill any other 450 made...Hondas SUCK!

• wolfgang123

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:18 PM

what is a throttle stop

• motojason

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Besides the gray wire and the throttle stop... cut the air box windows out, pull the air box restricter, re-jet with a JD kit, remove the AIS and install the plug kit from the TT store. Remove the exhaust restricter or get a PMB exhaust tip. Yes it is a PIA, but the bike is a million times better afterwards. Stock, a WR can barely move under it's own weight. I took mine out for a break-in ride straight off the show room floor and thought OMG I can't believe Yamaha would sell this POS! Luckily I had ridden a derestricted one before I bought mine so I knew what it was like to ride one properly set up. Had I not known better I would have thought I had just flushed $6500 down the toilet. With the mods above a WR is as quick as any new off-road 450: CRX, TE, EXC, FE, whatever. I've ridden with them all and my WR is very close, if not better. So don't be disappointed yet... :applause: I love my WR!

• hankdog

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Yea, mine was that way too...I was really disappointed first time I rode it. After reading all the great information on this forum, I did the Yamaha AIS removal kit (part # GYT-5TJ93-69) which gives you the YZ throttle stop, new needle, 48 pilot jet, and gives you the instructions on setting the fuel screw, pulling the exhaust restrictor, removing the air box restrictor, and pulling the grey wire from the CDI. This kit was only about $30. This is the basic set of mods to make the bike run right, and makes a huge difference, the bike is now everything they said it would be. :applause:

• TARFELE

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hey man these guys are lying to you.
I guess you got one of the bad ones. You know that they say about Yamaha's manufatured on Mondays. I guess yours was one the them.

I tell you what I live in Texas and I will give you $500 and even come and pick it up from you.

That is a great offer. Man if it were me I would write it off as a loss and take the $500.

Just Joking. :applause:
Do the mods and get back with us.

• patrickincc

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:48 PM

Big difference, do the mods and you will roost on the honda

• ARin

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:05 PM

dont even post here again until after the mods :applause:

• BajaFool

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:07 PM

Hankdog didn't list one part that is included in the Yamaha Gyt-R AIS Removal Kit, a bigger main jet. I have the 2006 WR, same motor as the 2005 and it needed the same mods. Do the mods and you have an AWESOME motorcycle.

• nothingleft

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:27 PM

I did the Yamaha AIS removal kit (part # GYT-5TJ93-69) which gives you the YZ throttle stop, new needle, 48 pilot jet, and gives you the instructions on setting the fuel screw, pulling the exhaust restrictor, removing the air box restrictor, and pulling the grey wire from the CDI. This kit was only about $30. :applause:

Where do you buy this kit?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rich1167

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:42 PM

You can get a TT AIS removal kit from the TT store. I just cut my T stop down. I think you need to cut it to 18mm from the bolt shoulder. I am not sure on this. If anywon konws post it.

I have done all the free mods and a little more. Mine runs great. I have the TT ais removal kit, Zip-ty fuel screw, JD kit and a 13T front sprocket on the way from TT. I hope it rips harder when I'm done. :applause:

• BajaFool

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:55 PM

You can purchase GYT-R parts from your nearest Yamaha dealer. Take the part number, GYT-5TJ93-69, with you when you go to the dealer. I threw away the bag my kit came in, so I will assume that Hankdog has provided the correct number. The reason you will need the part number is because the first place the parts guy will go to look for the kit is the Yamaha Performance parts web page (GYT-R parts), and there is no AIS Removal Kit listed. He will tell you that there is no such thing as an AIS Removal Kit. Then you can give him the part number to look up and he will be astounded to find that such a kit is available and that you in fact know what you are talking about. :ride:
Also, I asked the service department bike prep guy if the throttle stop had been changed to the YZ length during bike prep, the day I took delivery of my 2006 WR. He told me that they would never assume the liability of changing out the throttle stop before customer delivery. When I attempted to change the throttle stop, I found that it had been cut to the correct YZ length. :applause:

• clark4131

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:38 PM

dont even post here again until after the mods :applause:

We need a sticky thread detailing this so the newbies have a quick reference guide. Moderators?...SC

• chumpp

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:25 PM

go to the yamaha website
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/1/detail.aspx
part number GYT-5TJ93-69-00

• snmhanson

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:11 PM

I don't think they should even be called mods. It should just be called setting the bike up or prepping the bike. Absolutely necessary unless my grandma's going to ride it (and she's dead). Do em all and let us know if it's still a dog.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted November 18, 2005 - 11:04 PM

I just purchased a new 05 WR450 today. Got it home, took it for a ride and needless to say I am VERY disappointed. This stock bike is a pig. After all of the posts and reviews that I have read, the WR is suppose to flat out rip. My dads DRZ400 will kill this thing. I was seriously considering the Honda 450X and maybe should have gone that route instead. With that said, just how big of difference is there when the throttle stop is removed, the grey wire cut, etc? Do all of the bike testers that review these things for the magazines do the mods so they can compare it to other bikes? Because, if this is it, I've got a dud and I will go get the 450X. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Pull out that stupid silencer in the exhaust and that will somewhat getting you going and cut the throttle stop. Makes a huge differance!

• baha

Posted November 19, 2005 - 08:36 AM

at the dealer--yamaha.. they know they are pigs stock, this is the cure!!
Some go the JD jetting and slip on route, I think a 13 tooth counter is a big help as well

• Krisden

Posted November 19, 2005 - 01:52 PM

I did all he mods to my 05 450 and it is a rocket
if u can change the pipe and instal JD jets too then you will hanging on for dear life :applause:

• rtrolli69

Posted November 22, 2005 - 08:59 PM

hey ease up.I know thats easy to say now because after I bought my 05 I felt the same!!This thing is a dog, but my brother had a 03 with a pipe..I did the mods,removed the AIS because it really backfired alot after adding a aftermarket pipe...re jetted do this because these Yammies are so lean stock.a few more bolt on mods you can find on this web site.and your WR will have your full attention and respect!!Ive always rode Hondas and let me say I love this thing because it made me faster..oh yeah I hear its really reliable too.. and I saved enough $$$$$ to do my mods..do some research a little work..the WR guys on this web site will help ya..Any ??? just ask..see ya riding..Russ

• WR450F_RDR

Posted November 22, 2005 - 09:54 PM

and after you do all the basic mods, one of the best after market bangs for the buck is new slip-on exhaust. Makes even a ton more difference in the way the bike runs over the stock system.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.