Pipe characteristics - input please

18 replies to this topic
  • tagger

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Can those of you w/ aftermarket pipes give me your input on how the pipe you're running affects the characteristics of the power? I have an 05 450. I'm not looking for "this pipe is the best" or anything like that...also, noise factor (> or < 96db) would be helpful, but not necessary.

• poffer

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:08 PM

I have a yoshimura trc carbon and I think its a great pipe. What power characteristics concerne there is only a few words to say: More power all the way! But you have to do the air box mod, rejet carb and on us models cut the grey wire and also remowe throttle stop. Noice spec is 96db on this pipe.

• blooozboy

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I am using a CRD absolute performance,really quiet but the power does not seem to be there I would swap for a louder pipe if it meant more power

• creeky

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:22 PM

I'm running a Big Gun on my '00 WR400 which required going to a 172 main jet. It lost a minimal amount of grunt right off idle, but really rips the rest of the way up. It is on the loud side, but it came with some restrictor plates that quiet it down some, but requires a reduction in jet size to 170 and reduces the power somewhat, but still lots better than the stock pipe and muffler. Looks good too.

• ARin

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:07 PM

i am running an white brothers e2, not horribly loud, and good gains all over the power range. needed MUCH richer jetting to accomodate the higher flow.

• poffer

Posted November 19, 2005 - 09:56 AM

ARin, are you shure that you are from nevada and not england? Think you look just like vinnie jones in "lock stock and two smoking barrels" :applause:

• ARin

Posted November 19, 2005 - 10:02 AM

http://www.lousignon...ins/biteme2.jpg

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 19, 2005 - 10:27 AM

:applause: NICE!!!!!!

• Oasis_Flame

Posted November 19, 2005 - 10:29 AM

ARin you got some wires crossed somewhere. :applause:

I prefer the stock YZ 426 pipes on my 01 WR. Great for top end power, little noisy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted November 19, 2005 - 11:09 AM

my buddy Just034 runs a stock 04yz450 pipe on his wr450. Makes good power...and was pretty cheap.

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 19, 2005 - 01:58 PM

I have the WB E series on the 400, arm ripping power throughout but too loud!

I am running the FMFQ on my 450, sound tests have been everything from 92 to 96 db. The bottom is decent but it could hit harder, mid and top pull is great! I am running stock jetting, no air box mod, but it is canadian so no grey wire from the start. The rear hanger broke after about 8 months, called FMF and they sent me a new one free of charge :applause: My guess is I could improve the bottom with jetting but overall I am very happy with this pipe!

• Matty05

Posted November 20, 2005 - 02:09 AM

I got a Procircuit Ti GP low boy exhaust on my '05 WR450.

It flat out hoots. It gives a crap load more bottom, a crap load more midrange and gives a bit of an improvement on top as well. It provides more over rev as well.

It seems to hurry through the rev range.

The only draw back is that it is loud, 103Db or so.

Procircuit are always about aggressive power, and that is exactly what this pipe provides.

What characteristics are you looking for? Bottom, mid or top???

• Matty05

Posted November 20, 2005 - 02:13 AM

The rear hanger broke after about 8 months, called FMF and they sent me a new one free of charge :applause:

I didn't get fmf because I only heard bad things about them. a few shops stopped dealing them because too many warranty issues. They don't seem to be up there on quality.

• MathProf

Posted November 20, 2005 - 06:37 AM

I have a Powercore 4 on an 04 WR 450.

If you take out the Quiet Insert, keep the Screen, and run around 98+ octane,
the low end torque pulls like a tractor and stays big through sign off. It is closed
course loud, not for trails.

If you run pump gas (91), with the Quiet insert and the screen, the low end gets much softer and you need to use the midrange and above for serious hauling, but it loves it and will go all day with no complaints.

The best part was the 8+ lbs of weight loss, all high and back.

• tagger

Posted November 21, 2005 - 11:22 AM

What characteristics are you looking for? Bottom, mid or top???

More bottom/ longer pull, but w/out being too loud

• Matty05

Posted November 22, 2005 - 03:36 AM

I would stay clear of the Procircuit then.......... mighty loud for the quiet loving.
The long header pisses me off as I have to unbolt exhaust to change oil filter.

The GYT-R slip on's are great. They are about 98db, sound real mean and go better than standard YZ muffler. I got GYTR's new propower slip on muffler for the WR250. I am very impressed indeed. If I didn't have a pipe for my 450 already, I would have one of these bolted on. They use the standard header but I am thinking about getting a FMF megabomb header for the 250. These give more bottom - mid range too, I believe.

Anyway, well worth a look.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 22, 2005 - 08:32 AM

I'm running the GYT-R slip-on with the quiet cap on when I need to. Anything is better than the stock unit.

• tagger

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:27 PM

Thanks guys - I'll probably just go w/ the GYT-R slip on as this bike has plenty of power, then change the gearing a couple in back.

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 22, 2005 - 01:37 PM

I didn't get fmf because I only heard bad things about them. a few shops stopped dealing them because too many warranty issues. They don't seem to be up there on quality.

I think they would be fine if they just used a welded / rigid rear mounting point instead of these lame, oval clamps with the rubber liner. The clamps are very thin :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.