Scotts Steering Damper setup advice

8 replies to this topic
  • GCannon

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:29 PM

Looking for setup advice on Scotts Damper. I just got the Scotts triple clamp and sub mount setup. I have 2 rides with the damper and would appreciate any advice on using the damper. I have the damper set fairly light for normal riding ( so as to not interfere with turning) then I adjust it heavier for sand washes and rocks. BTW the Rubber mount handlebars and Protapers are Awesome should have done that sooner. :applause: Let me know what you hard core guys do with your damper. :ride:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I have the rubber mounted Pro Taper bars and scotts mounted on BRP clamps on both of my bikes. I leave the low speed circuit on a light setting and the high speed circuit on a medium setting. I adjust the high speed circuit to firm while riding in beach ball sized rocks at speed. :applause:

• GCannon

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Correct me if I am wrong The low speed is the adjustable knob(arrow) and the High speed adjuster is the screw under the cap both of these adjusters are on the face of the damper

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:34 PM

High speed valve has the small black plastic cover that pops off:

CLOCKWISE equals more damping.
This valving circuit is designed to help absorb large, unexpected hits, such as a hidden tree root or pot hole. It reacts to spikes that exceed your current base valve setting. The high speed valve is pre-set from the factory. They recommend you leave it alone until you have some experience with your stabilizer. Start at easy settings (2 turns out) and gradually work into your desired setting. Warning: Do not adjust this valve too stiff, it can limit your steering response time. By turning the high speed valve (CLOCKWISE) you will increase the moment at which the high speed will react and its intensity of energy absorbtion. The high speed valve has less effect as you turn the base valve setting stiffer. Conversely, it has more effect as you turn the base valve softer. To test the effect of the High Speed Valve, turn the base valve off. Then select a section of road or trail that you know well, that has obstacles you’d like to test. Gradually adjust the High Speed valve stiffer, one quarter turn at a time, to feel it’s effect on each pass of this well-known trail or roadway. The high speed valve is not found on any other stabilizer and is a serious advantage once you learn how it works.
Do not try to test the high speed valve while the bike is on the stand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted November 19, 2005 - 05:59 AM

If you want more information they offer the manual on line. It explains the the two side "sweep" adjustments as well.

Indy, how ofter do you change the oil in your scotts?

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 19, 2005 - 06:29 AM

Never had to change the oil yet! I have the Scotts unit on all 3 bikes! I have replaced the brass posts due to wear. Fantastic quality and design! :applause: :ride: :p

• byggd

Posted December 27, 2005 - 11:50 AM

Another question for you Indy. I know all riders/bikes are different but I would like to know what settings you use on your Scotts. I leave the sweep and high speed settings as factory and set the dial at between 6 and 8 clicks out.

What do you like best for ruts?
what do you like best for sand?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 27, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I leave my sweep at 34 degrees at all times. I think the factory position is 44 degrees. I think the Factory setting is 8 turns out for low speed main valve. I think the Factory setting is 8 - quarter turns out on the high speed circuit

In deep sand I will turn up the slow speed way up to to 12 clicks and turn down the high speed to 6 - quarter turns. Keeps the front end from knifing under. :bonk:

In roots and rocks at low speeds I run the low speed at 4 clicks and high speed at 10 or 12 quarter turns out. Takes big hits on the bark busters but wont wear you out in tight stuff. :applause:

• byggd

Posted December 27, 2005 - 01:07 PM

Thanks again Indy :applause:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.