Speedometer drive question

8 replies to this topic
  • FJT

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Hey - does someone out there know - are all speedo drives the same? Can I take the speedo cable from my XR650R and run it inot the housing of - say - a Harley or a Suzuki speedometer? I want to get a speedo off of e-bay - but it'd be great to know if it'll work, first...

Thanks in advance,
FJT

• roadcam

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:46 AM

definitely nothing in common with the H-D speedo, (if it did, it would leak, anyway) ...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:22 PM

definitely nothing in common with the H-D speedo, (if it did, it would leak, anyway) ...

ingorant. my dad's harley has never driped one drop of oil....other than when hes changing it. i think there prolly the same but the gearing would be different, 21" wheel vs 18" would make you think ur goin way faster than u r.

• don87xr600

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Six misspelled words in a post you call someone ignorant. We have to keep this kid around, he's the funniest guy on TT.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:12 PM

ingorant. my dad's harley has never driped one drop of oil....other than when hes changing it. i think there prolly the same but the gearing would be different, 21" wheel vs 18" would make you think ur goin way faster than u r.

maybe, but some day he may decide to pull the HD out of his pickup truck bed, and start it up ... then he will have to put oil in it, and it will leak ... (about 40 years of Harley wrench experience on this end) ... :applause:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:30 PM

uuuh......truck bed? the mother weighs 1000 pounds and its 8 damn feet long, it wont exactly fit. he put 4000 miles on it this summer.......dont know what your talkin about.

• hill5150

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:16 PM

uuuh......truck bed? the mother weighs 1000 pounds and its 8 damn feet long, it wont exactly fit. he put 4000 miles on it this summer.......dont know what your talkin about.

Your ma weighs 1000......jeeezuz that is one fat beeeatch and 4k miles she's a trooper to take that from the old man,that's how you were conceived, I thought it was osmosis....... :applause:

• J_Daniels

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:24 PM

God, I feel like I'm losing IQ points reading this thread! In response to FJT's question, most speedos are 1:1 ratio, so they would interchange but for the cable housing attachment and cable end shape, all needed to be right in order for the cable to plug into the back of the speedo and drive the needle. In my limited experience, it seems as though most of the Honda speedos have the same spigot on the bottom. I bet if you stay somewhat close in year and type of bike (like probably not a '76 Goldwing to a 2003 650R), you will easily find a speedo that fits.

• roadcam

Posted November 19, 2005 - 06:31 AM

WR450Fyamaha ... Im just razzin' ya ... all in fun

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.