Cold weather start - XR650L

30 replies to this topic
  • goblin127

Posted December 18, 2005 - 08:24 PM

The new mikuni flat slide carb I just put on alows the bike to start up first try 25F this mornning. Its not a pumper carb but at half the price of the Edelbrock i'm quit happy so far.

• Motosprtman

Posted December 19, 2005 - 12:08 PM

Mine starts hard to after ony a week of sitting in the cold. Took it outside and washed it - then tried to start it - chuka-chuka-c-h-u-k-a .... click......pushed it into my shop, let it sit for maybe 2-3 minutes, chuka chuka pop, snort... chuka brrrroooom! full choke no throttle....

• Jayzonk

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:03 PM

What type of charger do I need to keep my 650L battery in good shape over the winter??
My bike is out in the garage for the winter, where it's currently -15 C. What else should I do, other than take the battery out? Drain the carb? The gas is pretty fresh. Change the oil?

• Manchu

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:06 PM

What type of charger do I need to keep my 650L battery in good shape over the winter??
My bike is out in the garage for the winter, where it's currently -15 C. What else should I do, other than take the battery out? Drain the carb? The gas is pretty fresh. Change the oil?

Battery Tender

• Jayzonk

Posted December 19, 2005 - 10:28 PM

Looks alright. As long as it meets the spec for my battery, that's okay. My dealer told me that any charger will not do, due to overcharging.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted December 20, 2005 - 09:25 AM

IF you want to put a charger on it, it should be a trickle charher or one made for bikes. Trickle charging is slow charging at the rate of 2 amps or less,most newer charger have a selctable swicth for 6 or 12 volt and 2 or 6 amp charging. Yes you should change the oil if it is going to remain absolutely dormant for an extended period of time. Also fill the tank.

As for mine this winter in Washington state, I just start it every week or so and let things circulate and let the bike charge the battery. I will change the oil in the spring - (fresh oil is in it now) until then about all you can do is either start and take short rides on it, weather permitting, or store it and leave the battery on a trickle charger.

• Boy named sue

Posted January 10, 2006 - 04:44 PM

clark 4.0 4.7 is ugly

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 10, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Before you park your bike, turn the petcock to off and let it run/idle until it goes dead. This uses up all the gas in the carb. Next time you start it, just turn the petcock on, which guarantees fresh gas. Using this technique, I haven't had a hard time starting it, although my stock L isn't exactly happy happy happy to start up on cold mornings.

• Jayzonk

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Yes, neither is mine. I started it up this week at 0 degrees celsius (freezing point), and it really chugged and chugged before I got it going. It doesn't sound so good when the engine is turning over and not going. Is this hard on the engine?

• goblin127

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:56 PM

Yes, neither is mine. I started it up this week at 0 degrees celsius (freezing point), and it really chugged and chugged before I got it going. It doesn't sound so good when the engine is turning over and not going. Is this hard on the engine?

It's not good for the starter.

• Jayzonk

Posted January 14, 2006 - 08:34 PM

I thought the higher viscosity of the oil in the cold temp might mean that the cylinder walls might not get any oil drawn up on the walls as the piston goes up and down, right?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.