Cold weather start - XR650L

30 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hey boyz,
Haven't ridden the L in two weeks, and I can't get it to start. It's -4 celsius (24.8 Fahrenheit) today, so I thought it should still go. I thought it'd be okay til about -10, even though the manual doesn't say anything about starting below zero. How do I get 'er going? I don't want to choke it too long in this crappy weather.

• XRL_Rider

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:53 AM

Easily and expensively solved with a pumper carb.
Back when I was running the stock carb I would have to dribble a little gas into the carb throat when the weather was below freezing- I know dangerous, but at least it got the beast started.

• Jayzonk

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:59 AM

I managed to get it going. I cranked the throttle wide open, then let it sit for 20 min. It backfired once, then started right up. Let 'er idle 20 min. Still, it's better to winterize it, I imagine, rather than starting it once per week.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Don't know why, but the XRL responds well to draining the bowl after its been sitting awhile.

Especially if you're serving it gasohol.

D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:20 PM

you leave it out in the cold? ive got mine in the basement, constant 62 degrees.

• Jayzonk

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:44 PM

I think I'm going to insulate my garage door and try to keep it at about 5 celsius in there. I thought that the cold might actually slow down any rusting, etc. On warm-up days, I'll bring the temperature back up, then start it.
How do I insulate my garage door? Someone said you can buy strips of insulation that just fit in the slots of the door. Is that right??

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 18, 2005 - 04:32 PM

no idea there......could they have been on crack when they said that? im pretty sure there full of foam already :ride: mine is....makes it strong :applause:

• XRsteve

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:37 PM

Draining the bowl works for me, too.
Try a home improvement store and get some rigid foam insulation. It comes in different thicknesses and sizes. It shouldn't be to hard to install in an noninsulated door.

• Hayden

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:55 PM

Is your bike stock, IE stock pipe, Carb etc. I did Daves Carb mods and bumped the pilot jet up to a 55 and the main up to a 165. It starts very easy now. The stock XRL is very lean from the factory and this doesnt help at all for cold starting.

Hayden

• Scott V

Posted November 18, 2005 - 11:03 PM

Mine has been rejetted and it can still be hard to start. That's if it sits for a while (2 weeks outside). I found if I do not full choke it right at first, it will fire up pretty easy. I can full choke for a second if if did not fire right away. It a matter of finding the right combo. I think I found mine. It's a 2006 with about 1200 miles on it. About time for Honda semi-synthetic oil.

Off to another subject for a second. Which Clark tank size do you guys prefer?
4.0, 4.6 or some other size or brand. I found out Clark is local, so I would prefer
them. :applause:

http://tinyurl.com/dlw2l

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted November 19, 2005 - 06:56 AM

Go with the clark.I have the 4.0 and it fits perfect.

• Jayzonk

Posted November 19, 2005 - 07:40 AM

Back to cold weather starts - I suppose the Edelbrock pumper is the way to go? How $$ do they cost??
Note: my dealer told me that it's not appropriate to winter your bike by starting it once a week. Said you should do a proper winterization. Is this generally the case?? Will the carb still get gummed up? I suppose cold gas sitting in that carb could cause a few problems....

• roadcam

Posted November 19, 2005 - 07:57 AM

I always added " STA-BIL" to my gas tank, (available everywhere), run the engine a bit, shut off gas, and let the engine die after it empties the float bowl ... never a problem

• Razta

Posted December 17, 2005 - 07:13 PM

This thread has been quiet for a while but I will in my problem today. I live in the desert and it was 34 degrees this morning. I loaded my 2006 XR650L in the truck an met my friends out at the riding area. My honda and a kids CR50 would not start. My bike would not even try to fire up. After taking off the air filter, gas tank, and un hooking the gas line and smog filter it fired up.
Did I have some type of vapor lock from the cold?

• OThumper

Posted December 17, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I found when the big bores will not start after sitting a while i will lean it over till it leaks gas and i am glad i don`t live that far up i ride all year okla we get very little snow.ride on people

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted December 17, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Off to another subject for a second. Which Clark tank size do you guys prefer?
4.0, 4.6 or some other size or brand. I found out Clark is local, so I would prefer

Personal choice really. It surprises me how quickly the 2.8 gal tank goes dry. I just ordered a 4.7 Clarke as this should give me 4 whole gallons for cruise, and .7 or so for reserve.

The Clarke 4.0 is only 1.2 gallons more than stock, and stock doesn't last very long, so it just made more sense for me to get the larger one. I didn't want anything like a Baja tank of 6+ gallons as that is a lot of weight/bulk.

I *REALLY* want to get the factory graphics for the tank. Anyone know how/where to obtain the 2006 XRL tank graphics?

• FOUR STOKED

Posted December 18, 2005 - 12:12 AM

I have found the gas loses some of its volatility after sitting in the carb for a while. When it does fire there is the dead gas smell for a little bit until the carb cleans itself out. Combine that with a battery that can't turn the motor over as fast with the colder temps and thicker oil and starting suffers. I am with the guys about draining the bowl to better gas to the engine quicker. :applause:

• exaresix

Posted December 18, 2005 - 09:55 AM

I found out Clark is local, so I would prefer

When I bought my Clarke tank last year, they were in Florida. I prefer the stock replica.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted December 18, 2005 - 10:32 AM

I have found the gas loses some of its volatility after sitting in the carb for a while. When it does fire there is the dead gas smell for a little bit until the carb cleans itself out. Combine that with a battery that can't turn the motor over as fast with the colder temps and thicker oil and starting suffers. I am with the guys about draining the bowl to better gas to the engine quicker. :applause:

No doubt.

On my 250R, if I unscrew the bowl drain screw, the gas looks like tea when it comes out, if it has been sitting a while. Once I turn on the petcock, the gas turns from a brown tea-color to almost clear in a second or two. Replace the bowl drain, turn the gas back on, let the carb bow fill, fires up on first kick.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted December 18, 2005 - 07:39 PM

I usually avoid commuting on my 650L when it gets down to 15F. Anything above 20 degrees F is okay though. It did fire up once at -10F (-23.3 Celcius) but I pussed out and didn’t ride it.

The only thing that puts up a stink is my starter motor. It sounds like it has a dried bearing. It makes a lot of noise but the bike still manages to fire up.

I’ve even gotten one of my ATK605’s to fire up in the cold. The starter wouldn’t even turn it over. I had to use the left side kick starter.

So Jayzonk, why would you want to ride when it is that fing cold out??? :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.