Why 18" rear wheel instead of 19" ?

6 replies to this topic
  • MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone know the reason why they use a 18" wheel instead of a 19" wheel on trail bikes?

• Adrock

Posted November 18, 2005 - 08:24 AM

More side wall for riding on rocky trails. Less of a chance to damage your rim. I think anyway.

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2005 - 09:46 AM

More side wall for riding on rocky trails. Less of a chance to damage your rim. I think anyway.

You're right. Both tires are about the same overall height. MX'rs like the 19 because it weighs less and has a shorter, and therefore stiffer, sidewall that will squirm and roll less in corners. Offroaders like the 18 for the exact reason Adrock pointed out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted November 18, 2005 - 12:50 PM

Theres less of a chance for a pinch flat on fatter tires on an 18 inch rim on a off road bike

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 18, 2005 - 05:26 PM

I always wondered the same thing. Thanks guys. :applause:

• Motone82

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:12 PM

I am running a 20"/18" set up. That is the ticket for trails and desert. I love it and so will you!

• halfast

Posted November 19, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Gee I thought it was so I would only have to have my bike lowered 3" to touch the ground. 4" would have cost another $200.00. LOL

Jeff

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.