Floating Ground mod

10 replies to this topic
  • av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 18, 2005 - 03:44 AM

Has anybody done this mod to their bike? I have done the stator mod and will be recieving the Trail Tech rec/reg in the mail today. I searched and searched but cant find any documentation on how to modify the rest of the wiring in order to install the new rec/regulator. Any tips???? Thanks for help. Steve

• Birdie426

Posted November 18, 2005 - 10:24 AM

What stator mod are you talking about? I did the floating ground mod a year or so ago on my WR...but I don't remember the details. I do remeber that I was all stressed out about dorkin' up my stator before I started, and when I was done, I thought "That was easy! What was I worried about?". Call Trail Tech Customer Service. That's what I did and they e-mailed me some instructions that were for, I think a YFZ or a Banshee or something, but worked for the WR as well. The folks there were very helpful.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 18, 2005 - 01:38 PM

I did the floating ground mod to the Stator already per the Baja Designs instructions
It really was very straight forward and easy. I was able to get the wire out by just removing the clips that hold it in. Much easier and safer than hacking at it with a die grinder.
My question isn't about the mod itself though, but how do I wire in the new recitifier/ regulator? Any suggestions?? Thanks, Steve

• Asgeir

Posted November 18, 2005 - 02:13 PM

Tell me what you gain from these modifications ???

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 18, 2005 - 11:14 PM

Tell me what you gain from these modifications ???

Alot more charging power. The stock battery charging system puts out just barely enough DC amperage to keep the battery alive. I am doing this modification because I am running an HID light. The stock headlight uses 12vac so I have to do the mod to get more DC Power with enough wattage to run the light. Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450high

Posted November 19, 2005 - 02:43 AM

I found the the wiring on there web sit in the tech section under wiring.It shows you how to just unplug 2 plugs under the tand then replug the new plugs in basically.I'm thinking of doing this to charge the battery better while running .I'm trying to under stand why i need to change the light wiring and possibly globes?.Is this because my lights presently are running on a.c from the stator?.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 19, 2005 - 02:25 PM

I found the the wiring on there web sit in the tech section under wiring.It shows you how to just unplug 2 plugs under the tand then replug the new plugs in basically.I'm thinking of doing this to charge the battery better while running .I'm trying to under stand why i need to change the light wiring and possibly globes?.Is this because my lights presently are running on a.c from the stator?.

Where did you find the instructions for the wiring? The only instructions I could find were for the KTM.

After you do the floating ground mod to the stator and rewire the harness with the new regulator/rectifier the old headlight wiring wont be connected to anything.

I recieved the Trail Tech reg/rec as planned and it didnt come with any instructions but there is a simple wiring schematic on the side of it that I think will help a bit. Steve

• 450high

Posted November 19, 2005 - 04:12 PM

Go to there main page then click on - TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE - then WIRRING DIAGRAPHMS - THEN WR 450 RECTIFIER.
Hope this helps.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Go to there main page then click on - TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE - then WIRRING DIAGRAPHMS - THEN WR 450 RECTIFIER.
Hope this helps.

Are we talking about the same website? What site are you talking about 450High? I can't find anything on the trailtech.net site except for info on a KTM conversion. Thanks for any help.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 20, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Nevermind. I just went to the BD site and tracked it down just like you said. Sorry, I thought you were talking aboot the Trail Tech site. Thanks.

• 450high

Posted November 22, 2005 - 02:00 AM

Whoopps didn't relise there was another site.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.